Looking for a good 1-DIN receiver

Participant count
  • Participant list

Reio Rada

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hey!

I need to upgrade my head unit, but I can't decide which one to choose. There are just too many and to be honest, all the tests I've read are just BS. Maybe you can help.

It should be a Pioneer unit. I just get them with a reasonable price. 1-DIN, Bluetooth, and a good sound. Everything else, I'm willing to compromise.

The car is a BMW Z3, which at the moment has four or six tweeters, two of them are some Hertzs with the filter, the other originals. 2x mid-range Hertzs and Audison APS 8 D behind an AP 1 D. I'm sorry I don't know more exactly at the moment. The head unit is Pioneer MVH-8200BT.

I understand there is no match for the 80PRS and it would be cool to try the automatic equalizer, but is it worth the price? No FLAC is making me have second thoughts. Or would X580BT/DAB be enough? Or something in between?

I can read all about the fancy stuff they put in, but what about the sound?

Thank you!

Hey!

I need to upgrade my head unit, but I can't decide which one to choose. There are just too many and to be honest, all the tests I've read are just BS. Maybe you can help.

It should be a Pioneer unit. I just get them with a reasonable price. 1-DIN, Bluetooth, and a good sound. Everything else, I'm willing to compromise.

The car is a BMW Z3, which at the moment has four or six tweeters, two of them are some Hertzs with the filter, the other originals. 2x mid-range Hertzs and Audison APS 8 D behind an AP 1 D. I'm sorry I don't know more exactly at the moment. The head unit is Pioneer MVH-8200BT.

I understand there is no match for the 80PRS and it would be cool to try the automatic equalizer, but is it worth the price? No FLAC is making me have second thoughts. Or would X580BT/DAB be enough? Or something in between?

I can read all about the fancy stuff they put in, but what about the sound?

Thank you!
none of the cheaper single dins come even close to the 80 prs even if you play flac in those and mp3s in the 80 prs. The burr brown dacs in the 80 prs makes everything sound amazing right out the box vs the cheapo sh*t in the cheaper pioneers.  Never do the auto EQ/TA unless you wanna blow your sh*t prematurely.  

However for your setup, its a lot better for you to just do this. The bluetooth is way better than any pioneer and the sound is amazing out the box, more so than the 80 prs imo. Its APTX lossless streaming and the DACs inside is good and you can control all the audio features with your phone. 8 channels of RCA outputs which you need since you have soo many speakers/tweeters in your car, you need to properly cross over everything to achieve a proper blend. 

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-dsp-408-4x8-dsp-digital-signal-processor-for-home-and-car-audio--230-500

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-dsp-bt40-bluetooth-data-and-streaming-usb-interface-for-dsp-408--230-5

Super!

But now you got me thinking. I've never thought about going further with the sound, but now I'm curious. I need to check the components exactly.

But anyway, I need a new deck. The old one just doesn't fit the dash.

^^Agreed

038.jpg

So, still in 2019, this is the way? Even with Bluetooth? I'm using Bluetooth 99% of the time I listen to music.

Thanks!

So, still in 2019, this is the way? Even with Bluetooth? I'm using Bluetooth 99% of the time I listen to music.

Thanks!
the dayton dsp would sound better on bluetooth.  You can do like an Ipad/android tablet dash instead. Otherwise get an 80 prs if you really have to have a head unit. yes 2019 the way is to have a quality source with sound quality internals.   Even though the 80 prs only has bluetooth 3.0, the burr brown dacs inside carries it far.  The Dayton DSP + bluetooth dongle has APTX which can do lossless streaming of flac files and it has good internal Dacs but it has WAAAAAY more tuning features than the 80 prs can ever hope to come close to so your actual system capability is way higher.

Thank you! Really!

Now I need to check, if I have any more room in the car to put them. Z3 is not a specifically big car. I have kept the interior stock.

One thing I also figured out. I probably have only a week to drive this car, by the end of the summer. Maybe there's something better to wait for?

Thanks everyone on the input!

Called Pioneer just now. The guy gave some small hope that there's a chance that we get a successor for the 80PRS for next year.

Let's see how this goes and how long I want to wait.. :)

Thank you!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.