Helix DSP tuning help

Participant count
  • Participant list

cjfamman

CarAudio.com Newbie
CT
Hi everyone,

I have installed my helix dsp mini and have been playing with the tuning of my car for about 2 weeks now.  I am using a pioneer 80prs in standard mode with single rca from front outs to the helix.  I had my system near perfect in network mode but I am upgrading my headunit to a touch screen with hires playback(mostly because a botched Bluetooth update so no bluetooth) soon so I put in a dsp.

1. I am having trouble taming the tweeters. the input sensitivity is all the way down on the helix and I had to turn the gain on the amp to the lowest with about -7 to -10 decibles in the software to somewhat match the mids.
  2. I am having trouble getting the imaging I would like. the music and vocals all sound like they are coming from the far right of the passenger dash and I cant seem to move it.  I did all my measurements in inches with a tape measure to the headrest. Should I change these numbers?  I have been trying to level match the left and right for the last 3 days but sound just ends up off.(im not sure if I was using rew correctly)
  3. I am on here for some help in these areas because my ears are getting fatigued(especially the left one) and during my silence break maybe someone could give me some insight before I go back at it. Let me know if I need to add any more info.
Here is my setup:pics are of the software

2013 Honda Crv

Pioneer 80prs (soon to be kenwood excelon ddx9905s or 9904s)

Amps: all boston acoustics

Highs - GT-20

Mids - GT-2200

Sub - GTA-800m

Tweeters- Cdt drt-25 1500hz-20000hz    in the sail panels of the door

Mids - CDT hd-6m  10hz - 3000hz  Factory door location

sub - Dayton audio ref 12 d4

highs.png

low.png

mids.png

So a mistake that I normally make a lot is sometimes having the RCAs in the wrong spot and the right and left is switched which causes staging issues. Also try flipping polarity etc.. 

Are there any other settings on the pioneer that would cause this issue? Also your volume settings, eq settings, level settings on the pioneer can also be adjusted as well.  You can also try hi level inputs as well if all that doesnt work out.  I've noticed it too with the dayton dsp that RCA inputs make the sound extra distorted for some reason.

Thanks for the ideas Jeffthechef.  I checked the rcas the first when I first installed the helix and it sounded very wrong, found that my tweeters were switched(had different colors than black and red going from the 80prs).  I decided to go with one set of rca to the helix.  I am not going to go the highlevel route because I would have to run new wiring to the back cargo area and there is no noticeable distortion from the rcas.  I made sure I set everything to flat and deleted all presets so I could have a clean signal coming out of the 80prs, but I will check the speaker polarity tomorrow.  thanks.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

cjfamman

CarAudio.com Newbie
cjfamman
CT
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from