Need advice for my project

Participant count
  • Participant list

Kristian Kolmkant

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hello everyone!
I am planning to install german-maestro concept line speakers in my e36 m3 coupe. I have to put a tweeter with 4" speaker into my door, 5.25 speaker in the leg area and 6" or 6x9 (with adapter) behind. I plan to put coaxials behind and composites in front, but i have more questions than answers regarding my project. I will put them below and i hope you could help me.

1. Should i really put all composites in front and a coaxial behind? Other option is to put another coaxial into 4" or 5.25 slot. Composite behind is also an option.
2. Is it better to put 6" speaker behind or 6x9 with adapter? Does the adapter somehow decrease sound quality?
3. What kind of amplifier should i put? I was searching a lot, but cant really decide what is the best option for this set up. ALPINE MRV-F300 seems to suit my needs.
4. Main idea of my m3 restoration is to keep everything stock looking, therefore i would like to upgrade my head unit with CD43, which is 20 years old. It does not have outputs for a new amplifer, thus is it possible to somehow connect it? Will my sound quality degrade because of it?
Thank you!

Edit: Added a scheme of speakers' layout (current fit for rear speakers is 6", 6x9  can be installed with adapter)

Screenshot 2019-04-02 at 00.51.00.png

Last edited by a moderator:
you can leave the head unit completely alone and add a dayton audio dsp with a bluetooth dongle and stream all audio through bluetooth and have 8 RCA outputs and active network capability which will allow perfect blend between all your drivers. 

That alpine is overpriced for what you get. Get two pioneer gm 8604 or gm 8704 Yes you need two because you want to independently control the 4 inch and 5.25 seperately and cross them over properly. What about tweeters?  I'd forgo the coaxial in the back and get a proper tweeter up front instead then add a subwoofer.   This is a proper 3 way active front stage which is type of system that most world class competitors use for best results. 

the sound quality of the aptx bluetooth stream through the dsp will be infinitely superior to any kind of CD of stock head units and lower end aftermarket head units can hope to achieve, its rather ridiculous seeing the difference, the audio chip in the dsp is far superior as well. There's unlimited tuning options too and you can do everything on your phone.

you can leave the head unit completely alone and add a dayton audio dsp with a bluetooth dongle and stream all audio through bluetooth and have 8 RCA outputs and active network capability which will allow perfect blend between all your drivers. 

That alpine is overpriced for what you get. Get two pioneer gm 8604 or gm 8704 Yes you need two because you want to independently control the 4 inch and 5.25 seperately and cross them over properly. What about tweeters?  I'd forgo the coaxial in the back and get a proper tweeter up front instead then add a subwoofer.   This is a proper 3 way active front stage which is type of system that most world class competitors use for best results. 
Thanks for a reply Jeff. I decided to miss out on subwoofer to save some space in such a small car, compensating this with a decent set of composites. I will consider getting two amps instead of one, probably i will choose a cheaper option as my budget is not so flexible. The tweeters i was planning to put from the set that comes with composite speakers and crossovers, heres the link (sorry its in estonian) https://www.audiocity.ee/autode-helitehnika/autokolarid/german-maestro-cs-5008.html

Could you tell me more about the dsp you wrote about? I am lacking knowledge in this field, thus I don't understand how audio system will work in general if it is not connected to HU. Also as far as i am concerned, the BT music streaming always lacks quality and has other issues.

Last edited by a moderator:

Also which pioneer amp will be better for this set up, 8604 or 8704?

Thanks for a reply Jeff. I decided to miss out on subwoofer to save some space in such a small car, compensating this with a decent set of composites. I will consider getting two amps instead of one, probably i will choose a cheaper option as my budget is not so flexible. The tweeters i was planning to put from the set that comes with composite speakers and crossovers, heres the link (sorry its in estonian) https://www.audiocity.ee/autode-helitehnika/autokolarid/german-maestro-cs-5008.html

Could you tell me more about the dsp you wrote about? I am lacking knowledge in this field, thus I don't understand how audio system will work in general if it is not connected to HU. Also as far as i am concerned, the BT music streaming always lacks quality and has other issues.

Also which pioneer amp will be better for this set up, 8604 or 8704?
Bluetooth technology has gone a long way since 2.1 and 3.0   we have aptx HD now which is literally lossless streaming.   You can have low quality mp3 files streamed on this dayton dsp sound 100x better than CD Flac files on your stock head unit or cheap aftermarket head units under 180$. Yes I did plenty of tests and comparisons and there's zero comparison. You can even stream flac files or flac music services like tidal if you wish but spotify premium works fine or your own downloaded files work fine.  If you tunnel vision on old outdated misconceptions about bluetooth, you are going to miss out on crazy results.  there will be no head unit connected to the system. Your phone will stream music straight to the bluetooth adapter of the dsp with a pure unadulterated flat clean digital signal and the dsp's dac will convert it into a clean quality analog signal and the signal will go straight to the amp.

Whichever one you can get your hands on, they are literally the same amp just the the lower number is previous generation and the higher number is this generation.

as for bass, You can do 6x9 infinite baffle subwoofers. 

https://www.parts-express.com/tang-band-w69-1042j-6x9-subwoofer--264-837?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=pla&gclid=Cj0KCQjwkIzlBRDzARIsABgXqV-FGOOY_4Ds0r3JEHW1hZss06WPD3H_Mf05kaVYVxqfE8vdE-QrbpsaAtBNEALw_wcB

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.