Out of the loop... Amp help

Participant count
  • Participant list

BigPun1982
10+ year member

Hey guys, I know posts like this are redundant 😫. I was into the audio scene back in the 2000s but not so much in the past 5 years. Here is what I need some assistance with:

2018 Ford F150

10" SSA GON - Sealed box 1.3cf (rear center console enclosure)

Looking for a "budget" amp to run this sub. I have kind of narrowed it down to the following (Open to other suggestions under $160-180)

Skar RP 800.1D

NVX BDA 7501

Cadence Q10001D

American Bass PH1600

Audiopipe AMPI1300

Soundqubed S1-850

Any input on if I should immediately remove any of these from the list? I have not yet ordered the sub so I can order the right coil config to match the amp at 1 or 2 ohms. I also seen there is a preorder on the new CT Sounds amps but who knows, they could be junk. Any help is appreciated! This is just a small setup, not looking to spend a ton of money or rattle my brand new truck apart like I used to. Any first hand experience with any of the amp series I listed is helpful.

american bass ph can get the fk out. pure absolute garbage.

cadence went down hill as well. 

replace audiopipe 1300 with apmi 2000 its 177 on amazon. this amp actually makes power on the amp dyno and should be relatively clean power since you wont be maxing it out and have plenty of headroom

pioneer gm 9701, solid performer for a sealed box setup and good reliability.

those skar and soundqubed amps are literally the same board and model from china aka same grade as the audiopipe but way less power, makes no sense to go that route.

Thanks for the input Jeff. I used to install a lot of the Pioneer monoblocks when I worked at Best Buy. Kind of forgot about those, not a bad amp for the money. I never cared for Audiopipe or Hifonics but see they come up a lot in conversation as doing close to rated for a low cost. I will toss the AP and start looking at the Pioneers then!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the input Jeff. I used to install a lot of the Pioneer monoblocks when I worked at Best Buy. Kind of forgot about those, not a bad amp for the money. I never cared for Audiopipe or Hifonics but see they come up a lot in conversation as doing close to rated for a low cost. I will toss the AP and start looking at the Pioneers then!
hifonics dont come close to making rated like 70% which is dog sh*t.   that particular apmi 2000 model does make exactly rated and is pretty good.   Pioneer's build quality is better though with better warranty but the audiopipe does make a lot more power for the same money.

Agree, keep away from Hifonics , MB Quart (new models) as they are made by MAXONICS...which took over such good brands which dished out quality products a few decades ago.  I am note sure if the new Precision Power is any good as all as the company also makes the new Soundstream gear.  I would also recommend looking at Phoenix Gold products.  I have a Phoenix Gold RX1100.1 amp and it runs pretty well.  With Pioneer, you cant go wrong as they have been selling stuff since the 1930's and although their gear changes over time to reflect the current market trend, they don't tend to print '00000' watts on their amp as they are pretty much what they claim to churn out.  I think in most cases, for everyday driving a 200rms system with a 4 channel amp running components up front and a single subwoofer bridged on the rear channels would keep most road users happy and not destroy your ear drums as well.

Also keep your eye open of some second hand amps as they will outlast the newer products.  I have a Precision Power PC450 running my speakers and they still are sounding sweet in 2019. and I think they were released in the early 1990's.  Old Kenwoods are also a good gear that was quality built, not sure about the newer items though. The old Rockford Fosgate amps were bullet proof performers as well, even the entry level ' series 1' models. Old Eclipse amps are also solid performers.  Pic of EA3422 4 channel amp attached.  PPI 2600 is a 2 channel amp but they are very good built and with good features.

20141114_071929_HDR.jpg

20150429_111516.jpg

20150918_165501.jpg

1531893564614.jpg

DSC_1002.jpg

Like you, I stepped away from car audio for quite a few years and just got back into it about 8 months ago. I was looking for a decent amp without breaking the bank since I wasn't sure how far down the rabbit hole I'd go this time around. Audiopipe was just gaining popularity when I exited the scene and they were viewed as garbage amps back then. After recommendations on here, I looked at the APMI-2000 but was very hesitant. I ended up pulling the trigger on it and I have not been disappointed at all. Don't let the name fool you, this particular model is solid. 

Just another thought, the pioneer will need to be wired at 1ohm to make the power needed for that sub. You could run the APMI-2K all day at 2ohms and be making plenty of power to wake up that GCON. After you get used to the single 10, you're probably going to want another one lol. You could add a second GCON 10, wire to 1ohm and the APMI will have plenty to push both of them. 

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.