I guess it's recone time.. What would cause this?

CplCuddles

Certified Meme Warrior
Sub stopped working while playing, a couple days ago. Just today had time to finger out what was the deal. Blew out a tinsel apparently. Did I do this? If so, What did I do that would have caused this?  :help: :thankyou:

20190324_173409.jpg

20190324_173420.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
4ohm after rise to get the power u want u were prly clipping hard. Wire it to 1ohm and run clean power. It’s very hard to burn one of those tinsel leads unless heavy heavy clip. Manufacturing defects do happen but that looks like clip city 

I think we have a winner
If that's the case, not just straight clipping... OP ought to inspect the rear of the surrounds really well where the cone overlays the surrounds.

I've seen the cone cut into the surround from the rear and actually cause failure eventually before without bottoming.

If that's the case, not just straight clipping... OP ought to inspect the rear of the surrounds really well where the cone overlays the surrounds.

I've seen the cone cut into the surround from the rear and actually cause failure eventually before without bottoming.
I'm ordering a recone kit, I'm gonna cut her open and inspect.

@shredder2, @THATpurpleKUSH, @PPVtahoe11, @MattinMO

What ya'll think? Was I pushing her a little too hard? I "may"  :laugh:  have played some clean boosted stuff (djsnt, etc. ) Oops.

It appears to me, the main issue was the blown tinsel, although I apparently f'd my spider while I was at it. The coil is perfectly fine. How does clipping affect tinsel or spider? It would be the mechanical movement that would mess with it, yes? That burnt spot on the spider where the tinsel was intrigued me. Can someone explain what I have done? I'm trying to learn the ways, all ya'll are who I come to for learning.  :suicide:   :spank:

received_340985593191609.jpeg

received_2411235695639982.jpeg

received_312868696091340.jpeg

received_1104279496436759.jpeg

received_1109364462576136.jpeg

received_268334567410296.jpeg

Jeezus....you clipped that sub hard. Depending upon the box specs and tuning, COULD play a factor too.  I think you were beyond pushing it. Could have been a combination of things.

Jeezus....you clipped that sub hard. Depending upon the box specs and tuning, COULD play a factor too.  I think you were beyond pushing it. Could have been a combination of things.
I never audibly heard clipping, nor did anyone else. That's not to say it DIDN'T, but the coil appears to be perfectly fine. I mainly play music in the 20s, it makes sense to me that I caused a mechanical death through over excursion. 

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.