Speaker replacement Gen6 Camaro

Participant count
  • Participant list

boomgoesthedynamite

CarAudio.com Newbie
The factory Bose drivers are 6x9 in the doors crossed around 300hz and a full range ~3" dash speaker but not standard 3.5".  My original plan was to slap in a set of Morel Tempo Ultra 6x9 components but got to thinking about how bad the imaging would be as they are crossed around 3500.

I would like to avoid cutting holes and adding tweeter pods to do 3 way but standard 2-way 3.5" speakers won't fit in the dash.

Someone suggested the Hybrid Audio Unity u2 and u69v2 as a potential solution.  The price point is a little higher than I was trying to spend though.

Are there any other loose speakers that would fit this application?  I can go 6.5" in the doors as well as there is an adapter for that.  I have a convertible so SPL is somewhat important when the top is down.

if you plan on keeping the head unit and powering stuff off the head unit or LOC, give up on the idea, it'll sound like sh*t because the stock factory head unit is complete sh*t and its tuned for the stock speakers with a built in EQ curve and crossover like you said.  You'll want to add a, digital sound processor "DSP" with signal summing and factory De-equalization and 4 channel amp and rerun wire to all doors to bypass factory crossovers for any real results otherwise you'll be spending a lot of money for completely garbage results..  Leave rear speakers on stock amp and power and leave them stock, they are useless. A DSP with cheaper(but still quality) drivers fully amped will sound better than a 2000 dollar speaker set on a factory head unit and amp. 

If you can get the hybrid audio, it will sound really good SQ wise, it'll be mediocre spl wise but utter destruction for your wallet haha. They definitely will sound good if you have an amp and dsp.

other 2-3 inch wide bander options if the hybrid is to expensive. pick the ones with the highest sensitivity rating above 88 db if possible. 

https://www.parts-express.com/cat/woofers/15?N=19809+4294967118+4294964608&Ne=10166&Nrs=collection()%2Frecord[endeca%3Amatches(.%2C"P_PortalID"%2C"1")+and+endeca%3Amatches(.%2C"P_Searchable"%2C"1")]&PortalID=1

https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/approx-2-fullrange/

https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/approx-3-fullrange/

a pioneer gm8704 should be plenty of power for you. around 140 ish dollars. 

DSP if you can find something used, it would be good.  Otherwise a dayton dsp at 150$+30 for bluetooth dongle would be fine if you had an RTA to flatten the signal and build your eq curve from there.

as for 6x9s your options for quality drivers are limited. Also if you dont have a sub, you'll notice that the amount of bass from aftermarket speakers is very low compared to stock even when amped. It'll have midbass but not actual sub bass, when you upgrade the system you really will need to add a subwoofer or else your low end will be literally gone. 

if you do get a subwoofer these 6x9s will be perfect 

https://www.parts-express.com/prv-audio-69mr500php-4-6-x-9-midrange-loudspeaker-4-ohm--294-2761

if you dont plan on getting a sub, you can get some alpine type R coaxials and cross them over with a low pass filter. they generally have pretty decent bass with no high pass filter on them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the detailed response. I’ll go though it more closely tonight when I have more time. 

Just to clarify, I left out the extra details for brevity.

I have a 2019 with the factory Bose system with 8” touch screen. It’s far too integrated into the car to be removed.  I have a JL Fix to sum the 6 channels into a “flat” stereo signal coming out of the factory amp in the trunk. I was planing to use a MOST interface but they changed to AVB for 2019 so I can’t get the clean signal.  I also have t-harness to reuse factory wiring.  The wire isn’t as good as it could be but the door speakers where the most of the power will be fed have a higher gauge wire.  I don’t care to mess with the door plugs this round of installs.

I have a 100Wx4 amp I got to active power the front stage using the front as dash and rear as door of the Fix.

i plan to disconnect the rear and center speakers.

I have 2 alpine type s 10’s going in the trunk in a sealed box. 

Thanks again.

I had already spent a fair amount of time looking over the loose drivers on Parts-Express.  The 3" stuff really is too big to fit the location.  There aren't a ton of 88db+ options in the 2" stuff.  Most of it hovers closer to 80-83.  The Unity U2 is rated at 87db with 50 watts RMS.  I struggle to see how that wouldn't be as loud as the 88db 20w options on parts express.  I'm leaning towards just ordering the U2 and U69V2 (2ohm if I can find it).  My amp will put out 140 at 2 ohm.  That would give a little more headroom for the Amp.

That PRV 6x9 is only good down to 500hz.  It would be crushingly loud at 97db sensitivity and 250watts but I want stuff between my sub and dash speakers to be down there like 100-300 or something like that.  500 is way too high I would think.

I ordered an AudioControl DM-608.  The Fix is nice but lacks a lot of tuning features without getting the twk.  The DM-608 also has eq profiles which is cool.  I can set custom curves for Top up and for Top down.

I think I'll go broke but I plan to drive this car for 8 + years so might as well get it right now.

Those 20 rms ratings are actually when you have the setup at full range with barely any or extremely low high pass. With an actual crossover around 2500-4000khz + the rms actually shoots up to the 100 rms range. something like the faital pros at 91 db would be massively louder than the HATs and still sound decent however if you say its not going to fit then you'll have to get the HAT tweets. The HATs would sound very sound quality and resolving with the hood up, not guaranteed to fully satisfy your spl needs with the hood down at high speeds though.

I actually have the prvs, they play down to 63hz just fine, the 500hz range is mainly how they use the driver in a 3 way setup with dedicated midbass in those Brazilian setups. There's not much good 6x9 options out there so you'll just have to settle with less output. There's also the audiofrog gb 6x9 as well with 92 db sensitivity but thats all.

If you have a fix, you can just get a dayton audio dsp for 150 and it gives you literally everything you need and can be controlled via bluetooth app. 

Well, the whole point here is to keep the crossover closer to 300hz to keep the sound stage high.  If I was going to crossover at 2500, I'd just use the Morel Tempo Ultras I bought.

I hear the Silver Flute's are well regarded.  There is a 6.5" adapter for my doors.  I could go that route.

For the dash Full ranges I have looked at a few options.  88db+ is elusive in the sizes that fit.  Pretty much has to be a 2.5" or less driver.

SB Acoustics 2.5"  

Peerless NE65W 

Dayton Audio PC68-4

If the HA Unity's would be significantly better than the above, I could just use the flutes in the doors and pay the coin for the U2's.

I looked at the Dayton and thought about using it with the fix but having it all in one with the audio control and being able to adjust eq presets on the fly is nice.  I can return the Fix... it's still in the box.

Ive never had a problem with stage using a 3500 x-over point from mids to highs. A slight bump at 1000hz on the eq will do wonders for raising it if needed.

Were your door and dash speakers as far apart as mine?  I have heard it from other Gen 6 owners that they tried it and went back to a full range dash with low crossover point for the doors.  Not that Bose does everything right but they chose such a low crossover point for a reason I assume.

Skip the Flutes, take a look at Stevens Audio 6.5’s, Or even their MB 8’s, if you can shoehorn them in. I couldn’t fit an 8 in my 5th gen w/o modifying my door card. If you are keeping the car for 8+ years, and it’s a vert, you should seriously think about buying an extra set of a pillars, and put your mids and tweets in them. Then you could run the Faital Pros, which were a great recommendation.

57BD909C-5E2C-40DD-9DA2-CCA6B9A701AC.jpeg

I'm not really up for trying to fabricate a-piller mounts.  I'm pretty picky about aesthetics and know that I won't be able to make anything that won't irritate me to look at.

Audio is important but second to aesthetics for me.  I like to be able to fully revert to stock without a trace.  As such, I'm working to balance cost vs. quality vs. what will fit in factory locations.  That leaves me with 6x9 or 6.5" in doors and 2-2.5" full range in dash.  Now I'm just looking for a quality option for those two pieces.

I'm not really up for trying to fabricate a-piller mounts.  I'm pretty picky about aesthetics and know that I won't be able to make anything that won't irritate me to look at.

Audio is important but second to aesthetics for me.  I like to be able to fully revert to stock without a trace.  As such, I'm working to balance cost vs. quality vs. what will fit in factory locations.  That leaves me with 6x9 or 6.5" in doors and 2-2.5" full range in dash.  Now I'm just looking for a quality option for those two pieces.
PM me as I have some options to show you today.

Will do.

I bought and installed the Hybrid's.  I smoked one of the u2's crossed over at 350Hz in 30 minutes with a 100 watt amp.  I guess I should have seen that coming.  Now what heh.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.