not enough bass

krisecks

CarAudio.com Newbie
I have 2 soundstream t5 15s in a ported box the box is not big enough  for ported  demensions are as follows wedge box behinde  my back seat in my tundra crewmax  limited space hieght is 24in width 48in top depth is 8.5in botom depth is 10in   3 ports center top 4in diamiter and 18in long each the subs are facing forward behind the seatif im correct i have 4.25 cubic foot box  should i just remove posts and seal? suposedly optimal sealed is 2 cubic each .

yes that external minus the second 3/4 baffle on front  so subs dont lossen the screws i plan on pulling them today running them at around .8 ohms at amp  running th t1 6000.1 d trantula amp to them also  they hit real loud but when they get down in lows  around 24-33 hrtz 

its like an earthquake but sounds like the subs gurgle a lil   and box wants to leave truck lol

thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
yes that external minus the second 3/4 baffle on front  so subs dont lossen the screws i plan on pulling them today running them at around .8 ohms at amp  running th t1 6000.1 d trantula amp to them also  they hit real loud but when they get down in lows  around 24-33 hrtz 

its like an earthquake but sounds like the subs gurgle a lil   and box wants to leave truck lol

thanks
I'd recommend running one sub, cover the hole and moving the ports to fire the side door.

but really though, the port needs to fire towards the door in a truck for any real low end. Only exception is a wall or a blow through.

Last edited by a moderator:
they hit real loud but when they get down in lows  around 24-33 hrtz its like an earthquake but sounds like the subs gurgle a lil   and box wants to leave truck lol
Sounds like they're stuffed in too small of airspace, and because of that you are probably tuned awfully high for what you're listening to and you are playing way under tuning. I'd either seal the ports and see how it sounds or redo the whole thing if it was me (to keep 2 subs in there) and configure it like described above.

Mate, sounds like your box is too small for ported design and tuned too high,  If you don't have the space for ported, go seal the port opening and then give it a run.  For ported design you have to go at least 2.5cu feet plus the port design for them 15's so you box is definitely too small for ported.

Try with the sealed port and if you are still not happy then you may have to construct a new subwoofer box but know that 15s' would require a larger box so it can be tuned low.

Its all the laws of physics, you cannot get loud low bass in a tiny space saving subwoofer box design, just will not cut the cheese!

T5.152? 

2cf sealed, 4cf ported is optimum. No way you have around 8cf so seal that box up. 

Mate, sounds like your box is too small for ported design and tuned too high,  If you don't have the space for ported, go seal the port opening and then give it a run.  For ported design you have to go at least 2.5cu feet plus the port design for them 15's so you box is definitely too small for ported.

Try with the sealed port and if you are still not happy then you may have to construct a new subwoofer box but know that 15s' would require a larger box so it can be tuned low.

Its all the laws of physics, you cannot get loud low bass in a tiny space saving subwoofer box design, just will not cut the cheese!
I'm guessing you guys never done sealed setups in trucks. Sealed is complete garbage in trucks. No proper loading wall, output is barely louder than door speakers and sounds like total sh*t.

I'm guessing you guys never done sealed setups in trucks. Sealed is complete garbage in trucks. No proper loading wall, output is barely louder than door speakers and sounds like total sh*t.
Six 8W0 sealed in a first gen reg cab tacoma behind the bench seat firing forward. JBL 1200.1. 

other than that no

Agree have not done a subwoofer setup in a truck but I agree with your view that ported is the way to go in a truck.  Given the laws of physics then its ported enclosure, and the size of the space to install the dedicated subwoofer(s).  Since you have a pair of 15's in your ride indicates you are after serious 'bass'.  If your subwoofer box has already taken the required space and you are not happy with the result, maybe you may have to review your subwoofer and go with 2 x 12's in the dedicated space then you can tune it low to your liking.  Maybe 15's may be too large to accommodate the box size in your vehicle.  Time to visit your local car audio shop to get some views / ideas you could go.  They may come up with something that you did not think of, as its their bread and butter. :fro:  and they may have more experience in working on your ride type as well. I would just like to mention that port placement is a big factor since its the port that the sound emits from so proper execution is crucial to get the best out of them ported box.  Maybe use 4 inch PVC ports firing upwards towards the cabin as the slot design ports are usually behind the seats or facing the side so it can lead to a loss of energy transfer due to the seat / side obstructing the bass energy.

If you have the space, then do another box but do visit a car audio shop as they may suggest a better energy transfer using your current subwoofer that will put a grin on your face!

Let us know how you go mate!

How in the world did you manage to squeeze 2 15's behind the very limited back seat??!! No wonder they don't sound good because space makes bass. OR....sell those subs and get a few 10's/12's and have someone make a box for them, no prefab ****.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.