Amp protection: What is DC protection?

Participant count
  • Participants list

phantom240
5,000+ posts

ALL YOUR INTERNETZ
I think my budget Zapco ate **** this week, just as I was about to replace my front stage due to a blown tweeter with no suitable replacement. Looking at a new amp, I'm seeing most amps have three protection modes: Short circuit, thermal, and overload. However, my current amp also has "DC" protection. What exactly is that? 

lol. 

So if I'm understanding correctly, DC protection would come into play in the event a MOSFET, or reed switch, gets stuck in the closed position, correct? I'm trying to figure out why my amp is shitting itself going between operational and protect in three second or so intervals, and I know it isn't thermal because it was only 75 degrees according to my infrared thermometer. It wasn't a shorted speaker, as I disconnected them all in my attempts to find the problem. With the amp completely disconnected, all my channels are reading around 4.75k ohms. And there's nothing obviously damaged on the board. 

Short of it (pun, ha) is the amp has DC on the power inputs and converts and outputs AC to the speakers... so you dont want DC in your speakers.

Hmm well I can scratch that off my list then. Well, ****. I really don't wanna send this thing out for repair, but driver circuits on class D amps requires equipment I don't have access to. 

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.