too much power? need upgrades?

Participant count
  • Participant list

TupacThaDon1971
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
sandusky
alright i have two basic jl w3 12s, single 2 ohm so going to run at 1.....found a deal possibly on an audiobahn a18001dt  that does 1800 at 1 ohm...i'm looking to be at like 1000-1200 for these subs, my question is, could i run this amp without supplying too much power to the subs by keeping the gain basically off, and if so, would i be able to run this amp on a simple 0 gauge run with the big 3 upgrade and nothing else??? 

What do you mean basic? Which model are they because they have like 4 revisions for that particular model. You can "limit" an amps output by setting the gain properly. I would pass on the amp as I'm not too fond of them and the output power might be inflated.

Lets say those subs are 300 rms....set the gain from DMM to 17.32

Or lets say the subs are 400rms set the gain to 20.00 or close to it on the DMM.

They're the newer v3 ones which say they say are 100-500 rms......so sorta aiming at like 1200 Max to them so the amp being inflated would be alright for my case now....but as far as the power goes, would my charging system be sufficient for it?

alright i have two basic jl w3 12s, single 2 ohm so going to run at 1.....found a deal possibly on an audiobahn a18001dt  that does 1800 at 1 ohm...i'm looking to be at like 1000-1200 for these subs, my question is, could i run this amp without supplying too much power to the subs by keeping the gain basically off, and if so, would i be able to run this amp on a simple 0 gauge run with the big 3 upgrade and nothing else??? 
your master head unit volume, subwoofer level and amplifer gain control all control how much power goes to your subs. Its always better and safer to have too much power rather than not enough to keep the signal clean while getting the output you need.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.