Thick MDF and Brace Pieces??

Sullivan546

CarAudio.com Newbie
I see all these youtube videos of nice subwoofer boxes and enclosures and they they always use either .75" or higher MDF and these large, detailed brace pieces in their boxes for structure. When I made my first box for my CT Sounds Tropo 18", I used .5" MDF and rather than large, waste-of-wood brace pieces, I used Oak wooden dowels to span the divide and create integrity. The box sounded heavenly.

What advantage does spending extra money on thicker wood and more of it over using cheaper (Somewhat-thick) MDF and cheap wooden dowels? Wouldn't the dowels allow for easier air passage with its pre-cut circular shape? Why use More expensive material rather than save some $$$ and still have amazing sound.

Ideally you want the box as strong as concrete. Thicker material will gets you better rigidity and lower panel resonance. Well braced half inch thick wood works if you are playing with kiddie pool level power. 

Your braced half inch thick box probably sounded fine but I can almost guarantee that you could feel vibrations when you put your hand on it, that is lost output. 

If your  one of those people cheaping out on car audio and cutting corners, get out of it now. It's not something either of us wanna see nor hear about. Buys HCCA subs then powers them with a Boss 4k amp and 4 gauge amp kit...wtf?!?!

A few pics below shows a T-line enclosure which I built for myself a few yrs ago made from 3/4" baltic birch which is about 40-45 for a 5x5 sheet here. It took 2 to make this box, almost 100 bucks. 3/4" MDF is the popular ideal choice wood for making boxes....it's cheaper but it's effin messy and heavy. Depending upon of type of birch you get, some has a really nice finish, cabinet grade type is usually higher quality, void free. In this case, I wanted to try something different than the paint or carpet method. Stained and polyutherane'd the box later. It's the poly (clearcoat) that really brings out the color of the stain. Much like switching from reg TV to HDTV.

1131.jpg

1136.jpg

017.jpg

002.jpg

I see all these youtube videos of nice subwoofer boxes and enclosures and they they always use either .75" or higher MDF and these large, detailed brace pieces in their boxes for structure. When I made my first box for my CT Sounds Tropo 18", I used .5" MDF and rather than large, waste-of-wood brace pieces, I used Oak wooden dowels to span the divide and create integrity. The box sounded heavenly.

What advantage does spending extra money on thicker wood and more of it over using cheaper (Somewhat-thick) MDF and cheap wooden dowels? Wouldn't the dowels allow for easier air passage with its pre-cut circular shape? Why use More expensive material rather than save some $$$ and still have amazing sound.
dowels are fine, .5 mdf is not.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.