Whats wrong with my subs?

Participant count
  • Participants list

Garrett Griggs

CarAudio.com Newbie
To start off this topic I would like to say firstly I have not technically savvy with sound systems and did not put the equipment in myself. I took it to a shop.

Now I currently have a 2016 Custom Jeep Wrangler that my family had bought me for a birthday gift 3 years ago. Shortly after buying it we had a completely different sound system installed with a Kenwood DDX9702S, 2 Kicker 10' subs, new tweeters, a 1500w amp and a 900w amp (Kicker and a Skar). With all these being said for 2 years the entire sound system had worked perfectly and had no issues.

About 8-9 months ago I was driving and had noticed while music was playing that any and all bass coming from the subs had completely stopped and didnt work again for weeks. Over the course of I'd say 3-4 months I could probably count on 2 hands the amount of times the subs randomly started blaring again but for different intervals. Sometimes it would only be about 10-15 seconds or sometimes it would be for 1-2 mins but they would eventually stop again and I haven't heard anything in months. I am going to finally be taking it in soon to see what the problem is but I wanted to ask here incase anyone had an idea and I dont get completely ripped off. If anyone wonders why I haven't taken it in, It started off as laziness but over the past 1-2 months theres been remodeling done in my home and I haven't really had much time to take it in. Any help is appreciated! If you have any questions feel free to ask, I'll be paying attention to this thread. 

Hey mate,

Thanks for raising your issue here.  Since you got it installed from a shop, you may still have warranty for the work done so best to take it down and let them sort out the issue for you.

If you are curious about possible issue that may be causing the issue, I would thing of possible causes which are:

• faulty / loose subwoofer connection;
  • possible loose subwoofer amplifier connection;
  • possible loose ground connection;
  • possible loose connections behind the head unit;
  • possible faulty RCA cable running to the subwoofer amplifier;
With car audio, connections do tend to loosen over time, and it could just as simple as the RCAs becoming loose behind the head unit.   The shop will go through these possible causes starting from the sub and amp diagnosis first then if the issue remains, then it would be necessary to remove the head unit to pry out the rear connections for probable causes. :fro:

Hope I have shed some light in your issue,  and no doubt your installer would rectify the issue with you, and  I would say , its probably a loose connection somewhere along the line, that is if you don't abuse your system and drive it to distortion where equipment failure is possible.    If you are new to the scene, educate yourself in knowing the difference from sound and distortion so when you do hear distortion, you can turn your system down. :veryhapp:

Hey mate,

Thanks for raising your issue here.  Since you got it installed from a shop, you may still have warranty for the work done so best to take it down and let them sort out the issue for you.

If you are curious about possible issue that may be causing the issue, I would thing of possible causes which are:

With car audio, connections do tend to loosen over time, and it could just as simple as the RCAs becoming loose behind the head unit.   The shop will go through these possible causes starting from the sub and amp diagnosis first then if the issue remains, then it would be necessary to remove the head unit to pry out the rear connections for probable causes. :fro:

Hope I have shed some light in your issue,  and no doubt your installer would rectify the issue with you, and  I would say , its probably a loose connection somewhere along the line, that is if you don't abuse your system and drive it to distortion where equipment failure is possible.    If you are new to the scene, educate yourself in knowing the difference from sound and distortion so when you do hear distortion, you can turn your system down. :veryhapp:
Appreciate the response. I would take it to the original shop but I moved about 2 hours away from the shop. There is a place that said they'd check it for free. 

Mate, I suppose you have gathered your options so you have decided to go local.  They would start with the simple issue first but if its not the sub or the amp then they may be inclined to charge you some doe to access your head unit but I am sure you understand that concept :fro:

Good luck with it mate, I do hope its just something minor that can be rectified.

Let us know what the issue was once you are bumping! :suave:

Hey mate,

OP, some of the simplist things to look for in car audio is lose connections and can be easily resolved yourself simply by a simple tool or tools and retighten it.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.