Two 400 watt amps vs one 800 watt amp

Participant count
  • Participant list

HollowHills

CarAudio.com Newbie
This is my first time in the forums so it's great to meet everyone. Im installing two kicker compvr 10"  2 ohm subs in an underseat box in my Silverado.  each sub performs at 400 watts rms. I currently have a kicker zx400.1 amplifier from when I was just running one of those 10s. so my question is what are some thoughts, pros and cons to going with two seperate 400 watt amps vs one 800watt amp. just figured it's cheaper to buy a 400watt and give each sub it's own amp. thanks for any help.

I would buy one amp that does around 1200+ at 2 ohms.  Taramps MD1800 2 ohm version is right at $200.  My first amp was a Kicker ZX400.1 and that thing was like $200 for 485 watts rms.

thanks for the replies. I am aware of kicker and there standings in the car audio world. But it happens to be what I'm working with for now and didnt cost nothing to obtain them.i will say though I did have one of them in my work truck and it surprised the hell out of  me. course everything was dialed in from then wiring to the sealed enclosure I built. But then reason I'm even considering a second 400 is because I have a buddy with the exact amp, zx400.1 he was gonna sell next to nothing. got a new born and wife is out of work so money is tight 

If you can get another one for cheap and you don't really want to spend the $200 on a new amp go for it. They are damn good little amps. Just not worth the new price. You will need to gain match the amps though.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.