Subwoofer Box Question

Sundownaudio01

CarAudio.com Newbie
I know there is probably 1000 threads about this on here but I haven't been able to find a clear answer to what I need.

I've recently bought a Skar Audio EVL-10 to replace my Sundown SA10 and need to build a new box. The question I have is for the box tuning. Skar recommends 40Hz. My last box was tuned to 32Hz. So does a higher tuning lead to louder (and lower quality) sound above and at the tune frequency? And the lower the tune the quieter but lower it'll play and better it will sound?

Yes that is pretty much the gist of it. Honestly a 40 Hz tune for daily would be pretty shitty in my opinion.

Why would you go to a Skar from a Sundown??

Yes that is pretty much the gist of it. Honestly a 40 Hz tune for daily would be pretty shitty in my opinion.

Why would you go to a Skar from a Sundown??
Long story short I thought the sundown was blown when it was actually a bad connection from the line converter and the Skar was rated for 1000 watts vs 600 for the sundown and didn't want to risk blowing another sub

And most of the time that's what the issue is. Not just you, but in general. Most CA problems are from human error, ie bad connection. So many noobs out there though refuse to believe that either they or their two bit installer could of made a mistake. Glad you were able to solve the problem though 😉.

Mate, generally speaking, most sealed boxes would yield a 35hz tuning and if you want more 'thump then ported would be the way to go but tuning could be higher say 40 - 45hz, but don't forget your ride peaks around 40 - 60hz and most prefab boxes out there is tuned to these frequency since it will keep most people adding a subwoofer to their system a big grin with the result.  There is always an option to tune lower by designing your own box and using programs such as WINISD to determine your subwoofer box performance before you actually go ahead with a custom box.

Just remember, tuning a box higher will also steer you into the SPL category so your box will not sound too good with daily driving but its your choice and your music.  You are free to create your subwoofer box and tune it low to your liking but try using say a 4 inch PVC plumbing pipe so you can always change the port if you wish to tune it higher or lower and then secure the port once you are satisfied with the end result. :graduate:

Good luck and let us know how you go with it mate!

20160710_085245.jpg

I could agree with that, but if you are going for any musicality then that is pretty high tuning.
Completely disagree. I have a eminence lab 12c tuned at 38hz that's very musical. Even my little jbl s3 at 42hz is musical. By itself I wouldn't use a low tune it gives up too much output for the music I listen to. Currently I have 2 of them tuned at 36 they're musical too. 

I've got larger subs (15s) I can put more power on I wouldn't tune that high unless I was going for output. Op has a single ten. Idk what he's going for type of music or vehicle amp. Really don't know anything other than he has a single skar sub. He very well might benefit from tuning higher than 32. Hell that skar may look like crap tuned at 32 for the air space he's going for Saying a 40 hz tune is a shitty tune is kinda a blanket statement and incorrect imo. You can keep tuning at 32 hell I don't care but a well built enclosure for the sub tuned at 40 can sound good. Having said that I'd want more information from op and model the skar in software b 4 I'd say that would be good for him and that particular sub. 

Certainly no expert but I've had good results tuning higher than low 30s with the subs I've used plus music I listen to small sub etc.Doesn't make a lot of sense to tune that low if the music I listen doesn't have much content in the low 30s.

As far as sq really depends on sub enclosure cabin gain etc lots of variables . The labc i have is one of the best sq subs I curently have I'd add the jbl to that too. Both tuned higher. Idk that sq and skar belong in the same sentence so I'd imagine op is going for output 

Completely disagree.

Idk that sq and skar belong in the same sentence so I'd imagine op is going for output 
Tuning higher has worked for me, that said... it's all about goals and how the driver acts in a certain environment (vehicle, enclosure) imo. So I agree to disagree.

And that Evl-10 sure don't model-up anything like a Sq sub at any tuning so I agree if it's output you're after maybe (big maybe) I'd recommend one (not), I would have stuck with the Sundown personally.

Glad he found the issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a box tuned to 47hz that sounds fine on music. It will play everything from ska to rap. It wont play below 35hz but it's not designed to and the music I play on it doesn't have too many notes below 40hz. The tune depends on what you listen to. 

Holy subwoofer downgrade. I highly doubt you are overpowering the SA.
I know I wasn't. Have skar in the sundown box at the moment and it still sounds great to me. The sundown wasn't blown i just had a borked ground connection on my line output connection and ordered the new sub before I knew that was the problem

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

Sundownaudio01

CarAudio.com Newbie
Sundownaudio01
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from
BOOMINGRANDPA