ppi 900.4 blown channels

Participant count
  • Participants list

randomguy8524

CarAudio.com Newbie
I was listening to some music at low volume and my left channels just gave up. The front left and the rear left. I use the 900.4 to run a component set so when it went my whole left door just went silent. No smell. No pop or static. It just gave up. I swapped my inputs to the amp to see if the signal was dead from the source but no dice.

Any idea what happened here? Or have any of you guys seen this with these amps before. And if so the culprit? I am fairly technical and if this is a simple and known issue I would like to crack it open and repair it myself.

Any input would be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
How old is it? Did you buy it new?
It's less than a year old and I bought it new. I think through amazon. But I don't have any of the original packaging so I figured I was kind of out of luck getting it manu. warrantied or am I just looking at that wrong? I kinda thought that most electronics had like a 1 year manu. warranty. But I'm not sure if that route is possible for me.

You could try contacting Amazon about returning it. That amp shares the same board as the Soundstream 900.4 and the board in the Soundstream was revealed to be changed without any notice from Soundstream and the redesign was a significantly cheaper design and the amp performed poorly in a dyno test. 

Last edited by a moderator:
You could try contacting Amazon about returning it. That amp shares the same board as the Soundstream 900.4 and the board in the Soundstream was revealed to be changed without any notice from Soundstream and the redesign was a significantly cheaper design and the amp performed poorly in a dyno test. 
Interesting. Thanks for that bit of info on the board change. I was happy with its performance but I was kind of questioning it at the same time. I guess I am always kind of like that though lol. I looked into it quick and I bought it March of last year from an authorized dealer so I SHOULD be able to use the 1 year warranty for a replacement. I don't have much faith in warranties so if it turns out I cannot get it replaced I will be looking to send it off to be repaired or attempt it myself depending on the situation.

Was there video on these new dyno test? I'd be interested in checking it out if so. Kinda thought I had myself a budget gem here. Just the way it goes sometimes I guess.

18 minutes ago, THATpurpleKUSH said:

Wow. I really appreciate you linking the video. After seeing that if I cannot get it warrantied I won't be wasting the effort to repair it. I was planning a rebuild for summer anyway. So I'll be on the lookout for something different. Thanks bud.

That *****. I've got a toasted P900.4 sitting on a shelf as well, though it straight up goes into protect when powered up, and nothing burnt. Power monsters, but seems they were unreliable. 

That *****. I've got a toasted P900.4 sitting on a shelf as well, though it straight up goes into protect when powered up, and nothing burnt. Power monsters, but seems they were unreliable. 
Interesting. It was the 4 ch amp boner for awhile. People bought them and loved it. I wonder what's going on now.... @Jeffdachef any insight on this?

Interesting. It was the 4 ch amp boner for awhile. People bought them and loved it. I wonder what's going on now.... @Jeffdachef any insight on this?
mines died peacefully too. I guess its good power for 3-5 years or so then dead. The time it was alive, it was bulletproof, took amp power and ground  and high powered speaker shorts like a champ. Handled 2 ohms bridged easy aka 1 ohm loads. etc... I fully made sure it went through hell so i know why mines died at the time it did.   Using the pioneer gm 8604 right now, lost slight output here and there but not enough to be pissed. 

On 3/2/2019 at 3:18 PM, THATpurpleKUSH said:

Its just soundstream that pulled that sh*t ppi never did the bait and switch.

Glad I got rid of my SS amps. It was time to upgrade anyway, and being sneaky about going with cheaper components in the amp is just being cheap and lying about the product and to the public.

On the good news side, I managed to get my better 4 ch working and set the other day.....sucker can get pretty loud and solid power on my Polk Audio speakers whereas the SS didn't even come close.

1283.JPG

002.jpg

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.