Recommend an enclosure?

Participant count
  • Participant list

gud

CarAudio.com Recruit
Florida
Hi. I currently have a Sundown SA-12 rev3, paired with a Rockford Fosgate Prime 1,200 Watt amp. I am pushing 800 Watts to my sub.

I currently have a generic 12 inch ported subwoofer box from Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0013N0UEE/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

This box has been fine but I've noticed that the quality of this thing must be pretty bad because some of the screws have come out of both my amp and the sub itself. The sub sounds bad now and I can't get the screws to screw back in. I think it's time for a box upgrade.

I know Sundown has recommendations for enclosures on their website, however I am a student living on campus and have no way to design a box myself. Does anyone have any recommendations for a prebuilt box upgrade? I'm looking for something not super huge as I do travel and need space but am willing to upgrade in size slightly from my current box. (current: (Height) 13.625" x (Width) 16" x (Depth) 17.375" )

I listen to lots of hip hop and love loud, filling bass. Ported is preferred.

I appreciate any help

Last edited by a moderator:
Find a shop that can build you a box or build one yourself. Dont waste more money on a prefab, you will have the same results. 

And remove the amp from the box, you should never mount the amp to the box. 
Where should I be mounting the amp instead? I really only have it mounted on my box to save room.

you can put mediocre subs in well built spec box and they will sound 10x better than more expensive subs in a prefab. spend money on box and you will get the most of your subs

I love when people put decent subs in crappy prefabs...

aQb4iE.jpg

A decent built enclosure will make a world of difference... just look at the size difference between that ^^^^ and below.

vKxGk9.jpg

Something like that ^^^^ would most likely make a world of difference.

I love when people put decent subs in crappy prefabs...

A decent built enclosure will make a world of difference... just look at the size difference between that ^^^^ and below.

Something like that ^^^^ would most likely make a world of difference.
I knew from the start that the box wasn't great, but I travel cross country with this car a few times a year so a bigger box was never really an option (need storage space). I just got off the phone with a custom box installer and going to meet with him soon to build something thatll sound better

Where should I be mounting the amp instead? I really only have it mounted on my box to save room.
Mount the amp to a seatback or make an amp rack or some sort of flat surface to secure the amp. Mounting it to the box exposes it to vibrations, especially with a prefab that is built with thin pieces of wood. The vibrations can damage the circuit board in the amp and cause it to fail prematurely. 

Mount the amp to a seatback or make an amp rack or some sort of flat surface to secure the amp. Mounting it to the box exposes it to vibrations, especially with a prefab that is built with thin pieces of wood. The vibrations can damage the circuit board in the amp and cause it to fail prematurely. 
Thanks, I'll look around and see what the best option will be in my car

I knew from the start that the box wasn't great, but I travel cross country with this car a few times a year so a bigger box was never really an option (need storage space). I just got off the phone with a custom box installer and going to meet with him soon to build something thatll sound better
if space was an issue, then you should have bought a 10 instead. a 10 in a proper built box will absolutely sh*t all over your current box. Tell the designer you are meeting up with to do an aeroported design if space is an issue, it should cut the box size down by 20%. 

if space was an issue, then you should have bought a 10 instead. a 10 in a proper built box will absolutely sh*t all over your current box. Tell the designer you are meeting up with to do an aeroported design if space is an issue, it should cut the box size down by 20%. 
Good to know! thanks.

Does this mean I can expect much better sound when I get this new box in? 

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.