MTX Terminator dual 12" subwoofers dust cap?cone cracked in the very center about 1" across fix?

realflow100

CarAudio.com Recruit
I somehow discovered they both have a crack in the center of the cone/dustcap and they were making an annoying squeaking sound when playing at high excursion levels and decided the best way to fix it would be to get a razer blade. cut out a circle in the center just a little bigger than the voice coil to get rid of the cracked part of the plastic. and then hot glue a small plastic bowl over the logo and hot glue seal it all the way around for both subwoofers

It seems to be working but I don't know if the subwoofers will be fine in the long run if the bowls get loose should I just buy some dust caps from online and glue those on instead will they work fine with a hole in the original dust cap covered up by a new dustcap? they look a little strange with a bowl hot glued to the front covering the entire logo hiding it underneath but they havent popped off yet or anything

the logo is 3D part of the actual dust cap/cone right in the center. part of it cut out since i wanted to get rid of the crack and theres a hole in the center slightly bigger than the dust cap. the actual paper cone material behind the dustcap is fine not damaged

I dont think its ideal but it sounds better than before.

Picture 16.jpg

View attachment Video 6.wmv

didnt have any. and the crack was falling apart when i touched it with my finger seems the plastic is really thin and flimsy in the center. but much thicker past that area

and it was kinda hard to see exactly where the crack was. it went down into the 3D parts of the logo text so i dont know it i would of been able to get it down into there.

Last edited by a moderator:
mine are the ported model which goes for around 200-something on amazon right now. (port is not visible from the front. its on the right side)

They are exactly the same size. not sure why one would be bigger than the other. could be just camera angle and lighting

mine are the ported model which goes for around 200-something on amazon right now. (port is not visible from the front. its on the right side)

They are exactly the same size. not sure why one would be bigger than the other. could be just camera angle and lighting
Imo from the looks of things plus based on your previous thread you've ruined thoes subs for any practical use. On the brighter side they were nothing special to begin with 

dude send like $200 get some new skars or if u running low power which i'd guess u are on those get 2 blaupunkts from walmart.com $28 each

What do you mean running low on power? and those look like decent subwoofers for the price. better built terminals and bigger better voice coil. I might save up and get them

and I'm still going to need a new box but im going to have to save up for a while first. my box cant have a subwoofer screwed into it more than once because the material is so crumbly the screws get stripped out of the wood when i take a subwoofer out and screw it back in. so I have to rotate the subwoofer to make a new position for the screws to screw into fresh material so they dont strip out when screwing the subwoofer in.

My amplifier can only handle two single 4-ohm subwoofers with all 4 channels bridged to act as two channels hooked to each subwoofer by the way. so the configuration has to be one single subwoofer rated dual voice coil 4 ohms.

or two subwoofers with a single voice coil each at 4ohms

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.