Protection mode

Participant count
  • Participants list

Michael Starbuck

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hey guys having some trouble with my amplifier. Amp goes into protection mode when turned up. Running a sundown sa10 d2  at 1 ohm on a audiopipe 1000w amp in an 03 gmc 1500hd. Thought the amp wasn’t getting enough power so went down and upgraded my alt to 145 amp instead of the stock 105. Truck also has the big 3 upgrade. Amp is still having trouble. What do you think it could be? Regrounded my ground wire as well with no change. Sub hit fine for about 3 months with this set up then I let someone borrow my truck and all of a sudden this started.

Remove the connections of the sub from the amp and check each coil with a DMM(Digital Multi Meter) and check your coils. Sounds like you may have a bad coil on your sub. Its best to pull the sub and check at the base of the sub right at the connections.Its possible you have a bad coil and sending your amp into protect mode.Try this first.A 145 amp alt and the Big 3 even with 4 ga wiring and good grounding should be plenty for up to approx 1500 rms after market system for power needs in most cases.Check sub first and come back let us know what you found out.You should be reading between 2.0-2.5 per coil, if jumps around not reading ,that coil is no good/fried. You can live with 1.98-2.6 sitting per coil. its within limitations.Check sub first!!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.