Aftermarket Stereo install

Participant count
  • Participant list

Chris B.

CarAudio.com Newbie
I have a 2005 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer. The stock radio went out so I purchased a JVC double din.

I purchased all required harnesses through Metra (70-5521) and even a steering wheel adaptor (SWI RC) through PAC audio. I followed all instructions and solder all wires to each color. The white wire coming out of SWI RC required me to splice into the yellow wire (pin 18) in the original harness coming our of stereo console. When I turned on car, nothing happened and radio never came on. I know I have power cause the LED lights on steering wheel adaptors were flashing. No power, no sound nothing.

I didn't like my soldering job (used electrical solder wires) because it looked sloppy so i cut wires and redid all the wires by crimping them. I thought this would help since maybe my sloppy soldering job did something. IDK.. When I was soldering I would occasionally touch the insulation causing it to melt which is another reason I did not like it. I also noticed on the metra harness there was a solid blue wire but I did not have a solid blue wire coming out of JVC harness so I crimped it to solid red wire. 

I tried turning on car now and still no power but now my alternator is sputtering. The car was starting fine yesterday when I soldered everything and gave no indication that alternator was bad. The only thing I did different this time was that I removed the negative (Black) cable to the battery prior to crimping and connecting all wires. Not sure if I did something to cause it to dry.

What did I do wrong. How can i get this stereo to start after i fix alternator.

20190224_180337.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.