Hertz HX250

Participant count
  • Participant list

Pezzy

CarAudio.com Newbie
I've just bought two Hertz Hi Energy HX250 subs. Will they sound better in a sealed or ported enclosure? 

I like tight fast accurate bass, not boomy. The biggest enclosure I can fit in my boot will have around 70L of internal space for both subwoofers, ported or sealed. 

definitely sealed. but ported/vented can sound good too depending on its design. it'd have to be tuned quite low frequency say 20hz or less with a large box to really sound accurate and clean. but that can require a quite large enclosure to get tuned deep without tons of port noise or "chuffing" sounds

it'd have similar effect of being sealed above the tuning frequency when tuned really deep. you get more output than a sealed box at all frequencies and much deeper rich sounding tight bass.

but sealed can sound good too with a lot of power and the right sized enclosure. some stuffing in the box will also help prevent boomyness. dont suffocate the subs though. just enough to line the enclosure with a few inches of stuffing is plenty. depending on the type of stuffing and how large the subwoofers are/how many there is. a well made sealed or ported enclosure wont even need any stuffing when made from high quality materials and the right thickness to handle the subwoofers port level and excursion they wont sound boomy at all. cheaper enclosures made from cheaper materials might benefit from stuffing

Last edited by a moderator:
The confusing part is according to the specs, it needs really small enclosures. The biggest they recommend for a vented enclosure is 0.7cf after displacement. 

That would actually be perfect as it will save some boot space, but I can't help but think it will perform better in a bigger enclosure. 

definitely sealed. but ported/vented can sound good too depending on its design. it'd have to be tuned quite low frequency say 20hz or less with a large box to really sound accurate and clean. but that can require a quite large enclosure to get tuned deep without tons of port noise or "chuffing" sounds

it'd have similar effect of being sealed above the tuning frequency when tuned really deep. you get more output than a sealed box at all frequencies and much deeper rich sounding tight bass.

but sealed can sound good too with a lot of power and the right sized enclosure. some stuffing in the box will also help prevent boomyness. dont suffocate the subs though. just enough to line the enclosure with a few inches of stuffing is plenty. depending on the type of stuffing and how large the subwoofers are/how many there is. a well made sealed or ported enclosure wont even need any stuffing when made from high quality materials and the right thickness to handle the subwoofers port level and excursion they wont sound boomy at all. cheaper enclosures made from cheaper materials might benefit from stuffing
big box and super low tuning doesn't help with sound quality, all it does is create a large peak in the tuning frequency while sacrificing a lot of output  above tuning frequency and have massive group delay which degrades sound quality. Which means if his main music is rock and metal, he literally gave up a lot of output thats needed in that range just for some whale notes that he'll never even touch on. low 20hz tuning is to bloated low notes which most of the times music doesn't ever come close to reaching so all you are doing is just giving up output/bandwidth in most usuable ranges and accuracy for no reason unless all you listen to is rebassed music that digs to the low 20hz and teens.. Sometimes boominess is completely out of your control as well depending on the vehicle acoustics and overall cabin gain, even a giant sealed box or a small sealed and a perfect sealed with a qtc of .707 may sound like a peaky 50hz fart box purely due to cabin gain where the only thing that can fix is a parametric EQ to flatten out along with some deadening to lower peak cabin frequency.

Last edited by a moderator:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.