Looking for wiring advice

Participant count
  • Participants list

Brandon Conrad

CarAudio.com Newbie
Is there a way to install two amps when the head unit has only 2 RCA (left and right) coming out? I have a 4 channel amp for the doors, and a separate amp for 12" sub box.

Do I just use a splitter on the RCAs and run 4 to the 4 channel amp, and 2 over to the 2 channel sub amp? 

Would it be ok to run the speaker wire from the head unit to the high level input on the 4 channel, and use the RCAs for the 2 channel sub amp?

It's been decades since I did this kind of stuff, and back then I didn't even pay attention to what I was doing. As a highschooler I didn't care to think about ohms and RMS vs Peak. But this is going to eventually be my sons Jeep and I want to make sure I get it right and not over work any of the new equipment. 

Thank you for any help. IMG_20190224_003244.jpg

I assume your amps don't have pre out, go buy a DSP since you'll do this job properly. not only it has time alignment and better EQ, you can also use active x over which will dramatically improves SQ compared to analog built in stuff.

You can use rca splitter, but it's kinda a hackjob. It will probably strain the HU preout harder and potentially ruin your SQ. It is better to use the high input instead with the rca to the monoblock.

Quite costly but maybe a good product since I've never tried this

https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_107761_AudioControl-DM-810.html

Trust me, 150$ speaker will sound amazing with good settings and it makes speaker upgrade worth it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Would it be ok to run the speaker wire from the head unit to the high level input on the 4 channel, and use the RCAs for the 2 channel sub amp?

Yes. That is exactly what you should do and it is okay to do it that way. Perfectly fine. What kind of head unit? If it has only one pair of preamp outputs... you know where I'm going with this. Adding RCA splitters will cut voltage in half resulting in lower quality sound.

Might be time to upgrade. Idk

Last edited by a moderator:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NVX-XEQ7-7-Band-Car-Audio-Graphic-Equalizer-with-3-5mm-RCA-Aux-Input/361446616842?hash=item5427e5af0a:g:h9IAAOSwwqVcShZs:sc:ShippingMethodStandard!75189!US!-1:rk:53:pf:0

This is what Id spend my money on.If keeping what you have in the dash.I wouldnt spend 600 bucks on a dsp, unless I was upgrading everything and didnt mind spending money. Depending on the brand of EQs you can spend as little as $40 bucks on up.This will give you some options with additions with amps and making fine tuning at your fingertips to clean up any of your music

Thank you all.for the advice. It seems this install might be more challenging than the RCAs. The HU I just received is a 2din with back up camera. It has one set of left and right outs of RCA. The others are for AV and camera, which are V1 and V2 out, CVBSIN, and CAMIN. I'll figure all that out later, for now I'm just trying to research some.of these pigtail wires. Since my phone's camera won't capture a decent enough photo of the diagram I'll try my best to type what it say. I'm having trouble figuring out a few wires. The green, pink, brown and orange. Maybe some of you have come across a Chinese "piece of work" like this before.

Pink - Parking Sensor Control Wires +12v

Orange - Parking Single Check

Brown - Key

Green - Head Lamp

The rest are familiar Wires I should have no problem with. But I'll list them so you know that they're covered, possibly help with process of elimination. 

Blue - Power antenna

Yellow - B+

Red - ACC

Black - GND

I'm guessing that these wires (pink, green, orange, brown) have something to do with the back up camera, and some have to do with a steering wheel control which I don't have. I guess what I need help with is finding out which would be:

1 - which should be ground for DVD to work, so kids can watch while I drive. I read somewhere that there's a wire for the backup camera ground that affects the screen play if not using emergency brake, and that I can simply bypass that by hooking it to a constant ground. My guess is the pink, but the diagram shows it with a +12v. 

2 - The orange wire, says Parking Single Check. I'm confused to what that means.

3 - The green wire, it says Head Lamp. Is that the chinese translation for dimmer? I've never had.to hook a radio into head lamps before. 

4 - The brown wire, it says Key. I read somewhere that this is for steering controls, which I don't have. So this might not be used. But I have to ask because the metra adapter harness to hook up to the factory wiring of the vehicle has a brown wire, but I believe it's labeled Mute and not used. 

Ok I think for now I will wire in the basics. I've got plenty to do with the speakers and amp for now. This other stuff can wait until I get a better understanding of what's what. Since there is only one set of RCAs I'm going to run those to the sub amp, and use the speaker wires to the 4 channel amp then out to door speakers. 

The radio I think is made by AMPrime and the model is 7010B if that helps at all. I'll post the pic I took of the diagram in book, but it's horrible. I did however find a pic online of one very close to what I have. I'll post that too since it may be of some help.20171124161756_25069.jpg

Once again, thanks for all the input. I seriously appreciate all of you.

Yes. That is exactly what you should do and it is okay to do it that way. Perfectly fine. What kind of head unit? If it has only one pair of preamp outputs... you know where I'm going with this. Adding RCA splitters will cut voltage in half resulting in lower quality sound.

Might be time to upgrade. Idk

IMG_20190227_012621.jpg

Hey dog. I can make some estiimated guesses but it already seems like you are on the right track. I found a youtube channel that is reviewing your emprime 7010b. I know you said amprime but the emprime worked. Hope you already have it installed by now but here's a copy of the URL 

Thank you for the link to the video. Hopefully it'll help anyone else who might have been in that situation. I had major issues with the unit once it was all wired in. I think it was used as a basketball during shipping. The screen flickered, and the speakers cut in and out kind of like static but only when bumped or shaken. So in the end it was returned for a US made unit. It works and sounds great now. The newer unit actually has the pink and orange wires labeled unlike the Chinese one. 

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.