2005 Toyota Sienna

Participant count
  • Participant list

Ray Forsythe

CarAudio.com Newbie
I have an 05 Sienna with the factor 10 speaker JBL system with Navigation & back-up. Can i just replace the factory speakers with new component speakers.

Will i need to use the aftermarket crossovers or should i just install coaxial speakers.

Thank you,

Ray

I have an 05 Sienna with the factor 10 speaker JBL system with Navigation & back-up. Can i just replace the factory speakers with new component speakers.

Will i need to use the aftermarket crossovers or should i just install coaxial speakers.

Thank you,

Ray
more than likely, it'll sound worse than the factory speakers because the factory head unit and factory amp has built in EQ curve and filters that are tuned specifically for the stock speakers to make up for their low quality parts. The stock speakers also have a proper baffle, factory seal that redirects sound perfectly into the vehicle cabin and is designed to work infinite baffle and is full range meaning it'll actually play sub-bass. The aftermarket speakers will be subjected to that which means it can sound really nasty and peaky or lacking in a lot of areas in the frequency response. You wont have any bass out of the door speakers either because literally every aftermarket speaker is designed to play midbass and up, not subsonic bass and with the stock amp, you'll be severely underpowering the speakers as well. Usually speakers need at upward of 75 to 150 watts to get proper potential out of them. 

TLDR f you arent planning on replacing the head unit or doing some factory integration DSP, along with adding an amplifier and sound deadening your doors, DONT BOTHER swapping out your speakers.

more than likely, it'll sound worse than the factory speakers because the factory head unit and factory amp has built in EQ curve and filters that are tuned specifically for the stock speakers to make up for their low quality parts. The stock speakers also have a proper baffle, factory seal that redirects sound perfectly into the vehicle cabin and is designed to work infinite baffle and is full range meaning it'll actually play sub-bass. The aftermarket speakers will be subjected to that which means it can sound really nasty and peaky or lacking in a lot of areas in the frequency response. You wont have any bass out of the door speakers either because literally every aftermarket speaker is designed to play midbass and up, not subsonic bass and with the stock amp, you'll be severely underpowering the speakers as well. Usually speakers need at upward of 75 to 150 watts to get proper potential out of them. 

TLDR f you arent planning on replacing the head unit or doing some factory integration DSP, along with adding an amplifier and sound deadening your doors, DONT BOTHER swapping out your speakers.
Yikes.  That's some sobering advice.  Would you give the same advice for someone with a standard, lower end 6 speaker system (non-JBL)? 

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.