Recommend me a sub

Participant count
  • Participant list

gordos420
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
My nephew has fallen in love with bass. I'm giving him an audiopipe 1800. He has less than 200 to spend on a sub and he plays sports so he needs his trunk. He has a 2003 Toyota Corolla with stock electrical. I would like for him to get a single sub. What are some subs that i should look in to? I was thinking a single 10 or 12 in a ported box. I'll worry about the box later.

I used to have the same car. A single 12 ported does take up a good amount of space. I had a box about 15x15x28 I believe and even though I still had enough room for my needs, IDK how much your nephew is gonna need for his daily purposes. A 10 seems more practical but I would get to measuring and figure out how much he's gonna really need. Or alternatively you can seal off the cabin and trunk into a blowthrough setup with sub facing forward, which is more efficient actually and allow more trunk space as well. An infinite baffle setup is also a great space saver too, look into it. The Dayton HO is always my go to sub when it comes to small boxes and it's less than $200. It's more SQ oriented so if he wants big bass and don't mind a bigger box, there are many other great contenders for the price. 

I used to have the same car. A single 12 ported does take up a good amount of space. I had a box about 15x15x28 I believe and even though I still had enough room for my needs, IDK how much your nephew is gonna need for his daily purposes. A 10 seems more practical but I would get to measuring and figure out how much he's gonna really need. Or alternatively you can seal off the cabin and trunk into a blowthrough setup with sub facing forward, which is more efficient actually and allow more trunk space as well. An infinite baffle setup is also a great space saver too, look into it. The Dayton HO is always my go to sub when it comes to small boxes and it's less than $200. It's more SQ oriented so if he wants big bass and don't mind a bigger box, there are many other great contenders for the price. 
I'll get to measuring this weekend. Hes busy all week with baseball practice and school. How would i do a blowthrough? Dont think ive ever seen one

I had the exact corolla. It has a really high vehicle peak frequency. If he likes rock and edm, he can just keep it like that with a moderately high tuned ported box 35-38hz.  if he like rap or anything with deep bass, he'll need to deaden his trunk because the car is flimsy as fk and has a hard time hitting lows naturally without acoustical treatments.  No blowthrough, there's too much air holes and pockets in the rear deck, your output will be sh*t and phase gets fked unless you do some fiberglass and seal off the rear deck completely off from the trunk.  

Noticed literally zero output gains from the big 3 upgrade or alternator. The biggest gains in output I had was when i added batteries to the rear next to the amp, that was complete night and day difference in output.  

I'd go with a shok industries triton 12 d4, run it at 2 ohms then do two 12s later on when he doesnt need to give up as much room. Those were the loudest cheap subs I've had on that car.

Thanks for the feedback. Ill let him know about the upgrade process and give him some advice about sound deadening. I might have some extra laying around so ill try to help out. I like how 35hz boxes sound so I'll let him demo some music before hand and see how he likes it. I dont think he'll ever upgrade in this car so single sub set up is the target. 

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.