Burning smell filling trunk

Ven0m

CarAudio.com Recruit
I have 2x punch series 600rms and a audiopipe 1500 wored at 1 ohm. I have had this setup for about 3 months and just started smelling a burning smell filling the trunk. Could this be the excess glue burning off still? After nearly 3 months of use? I have my gain set quite high, about 80% up... Could it be clipping? Both of the subs have a peak of 1200watt, I find it hard to believe a 1500watt amp pushing 2 of these subs could have enough power to harm them, but I may be wrong. Any help would be great!

I have 2x punch series 600rms and a audiopipe 1500 wored at 1 ohm. I have had this setup for about 3 months and just started smelling a burning smell filling the trunk. Could this be the excess glue burning off still? After nearly 3 months of use? I have my gain set quite high, about 80% up... Could it be clipping? Both of the subs have a peak of 1200watt, I find it hard to believe a 1500watt amp pushing 2 of these subs could have enough power to harm them, but I may be wrong. Any help would be great!
Hopefully it is not a sealed box otherwise those subs might finally be gone. Is the 80% gain knob setting on the amp? A peak of 1200 watts too means short bursts or period of time.  I doubt though you would be hitting their thermal limit through wattage from the amp.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yea i have the amp so high to get it to where i want it, because it IS sealed box lol.. they still work fine, so i dont believe they are damaged, just smelly asf 

Also, it was like a 10minute trip, nothing too extensive.. around 25% on HU i couldnt really pick out what it smelled like.. almost like plastic but then later i thought it smelled like glue.. so idk wtf is going on lol.. i checked connections and every wire seems to be fine, however on my 4 channel amp (to the door speakers) the wires were melted at the terminal.. so im kind of hoping that is the cause of the smell, but im really concerned about the subs.

Unless you're feeding that amp a weak af signal the gain is way too high. Sounds like you're trying to get more out of the subs/ enclosure then they're capable of...That ain't glue..

its stock alt that dips to 13v but rests at 14.6ish but yea im going to lower the gain a bit.. 

Gain is not a volume knob. That sucker is cranked up to maxed out. That smell/smoke is caused by overdriving your amp to the subs, thus creating heat/a VERY clipped signal. Go buy a DMM if you don't have one and set your gain to 38.72 using a 50Hz tone, with HU 75-80% of max volume. Speaking of HU, what HU do you have and what are the pre out voltage?

Shouldn’t be able to smell woofers in a sealed box. So either your box isn’t sealed properly or the smell is coming from somewhere else.but it seems like you don’t know how to determine clipping. So u might be driving your woofers and have a leaky sealed box so I can smell them. Prly gunna be burnt up very soon 

You wouldn't be dropping voltage much at all if you weren't clipping, you're hard clipping. A soft clip is fine but don't play it so loud for so long at a hard clip and expect it to take it

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.