What subwoofer

Avi3ator

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hello! I am going to buy a new subwoofer to my car. The problem is I dont know if I need to buy one 15" subwoofer or two 12" subwoofers? Each 12" got 1500RMS 3000w max. The 15" got 3000RMS and 12000w max. I will ofcourse choose a fitting amplifier depending on wich subwoofer i buy.

Is it really like that or isn't there some advantages/disadvantages? 😛
I would say It depends on you.  You stated you don't know if you need a 15" or 2 12s.  You never explained much after that. What might be a disadvantage to me might not be seen as a disadvantage to you or vice versa.  

What advantages or disadvantages do you see first off from your perspective?

Last edited by a moderator:
get all of the above  that way when you get  bored with 1 you can simply swap out enclosures. 

Op never mentioned what subs or amp he was looking at or vehicle/electrical upgrades type of enclosure? Not much information 

What is the budget, what vehicle, what amp, what are the listening goals, how much space are you willing you sacrifice? 

There is a lot of relevant information missing.
I would say around 2000€(20,000swedish krona) Its going to be placed in a Volvo 740. And if i buyd the 2 12"s im going to buy a 2channel 1500rms amp, and if i buy the 15" im going to buy a 5000rms amp. I want bass that kinda shocks you when played high. I'm willing to sacrifice my whole trunk if necessary.

Why not buy a 5000watt mono amp for the 2 12s? U don’t have to buy a 2ch for 2 subwoofers. Sounds like you are very very new to car audio. Two 12s will be louder in proper box on proper power 

Why not buy a 5000watt mono amp for the 2 12s? U don’t have to buy a 2ch for 2 subwoofers. Sounds like you are very very new to car audio. Two 12s will be louder in proper box on proper power 
Yeah but the 2ch delivers almost as much power but for like 200€ cheaper so i figured ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The 5k amp would require serious electrical system upgrades. How about some actual model numbers for the amps so we can see some specs to determine if the amps actually do their rated power.
The 2ch one: Audio System HX 360.2

Mono alternative 1: gas competition 5000.1d

Mono alternative 2: b2audio MA6000.1

So  $1000 USD for a 2500rms at 2 ohm bridged 2 channel. 🙊

I would have a Taramps MD8000 imported (not really sure where you are from). They are $450 usd or $310 euros and do rated power. Can get them in 2 ohm or 1 ohm models.

The 2ch one: Audio System HX 360.2

Mono alternative 1: gas competition 5000.1d

Mono alternative 2: b2audio MA6000.1
b2 audio's the best choice. After impedance rise, you'll have the right amount of power going to the subs.  If you want a more budget option see if you can get a taramps md 8000.1 over there in europe after all the shipping and import costs to see how they match up with your current choices. The audio system amp is definitely not enough power at all.  Make sure you have enough space. Two 12s will be louder, they have slightly more cone area with better cooling.

b2 audio's the best choice. After impedance rise, you'll have the right amount of power going to the subs.  If you want a more budget option see if you can get a taramps md 8000.1 over there in europe after all the shipping and import costs to see how they match up with your current choices. The audio system amp is definitely not enough power at all.  Make sure you have enough space. Two 12s will be louder, they have slightly more cone area with better cooling.
Thank you! I Will probably buy the two 12” HN 12v3D2 and the b2audio MA6000.1

Hopefully it Will shock my friends:)

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.