2018 Honda Accord Touring Audio Upgrade HELP!

Participant count
  • Participant list

cdisla94

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hi Guys,

I just purchased the brand new 2018 Honda Accord Touring with the 450-Watt sound system. I am not entirely impressed with it, but I am willing to put some time, money and effort into it. I am looking for that crisp, loud, deep HD sounding quality sound. Like something out of an Harmon Kardon vehicle or the Tesla Model S. I could be overstepping, but what should I do?

I took the car to any audio shop and was told I need the following items to start:

JL Audio FiX

10" Sub Woofer JL W3

5-Channel Amp

Labor, Parts and accessories.

= $1500

I really like the way Harmon Kardon places their speakers in their BMW line. More so the Sub-woofers, directly underneath the seats. Do you guys recommend under seat subs to achieve deeper and closer bass? I am 24, but only want the bass to compliment the music, nothing overpowering, but enough to feel the absolute lows of a song. I sit in these expensive cars and feel the immersing bass surround me but along with the crisp loud clear highs and mids. What should I do? A clear shopping list format would be cool and shoot I will do anything to achieve that sound quality!

Thanks!

CJ

Man that car is so technology packed.  First things first you do need a processor.  Honda does use good speakers just doesn't have a good amplifier.  You may want to try getting on a honda accord board.  Cause with all that technology I'm afraid you might lose of it when you go messing with the radio.  

pretty sure the honda a full range signal before the factory amplifier so tap in before that. Instead of a fix 86, you can just ask for an audison or hertz or alpine processor instead which doesnt just signal sum and de-equalize to a flat signal, you can also tune your factory speakers to sound absolutely perfect as well.  Its like a JL FIX and TWK all in one. 

Other than that, your factory speakers should sound a lot better with real amplification( will need more channels though) and sound processing/tuning if the shop actually has  a brain when it comes to tuning. Ask if the new price includes RTA EQ tuning, time alignment etc...

Last edited by a moderator:
The main issue you have with that car is the audio signal between the head unit and the amplifier is a proprietary optical signal, so you have to get the signal after the factory amp.  The control to the factory amp is via RS-485.  That is a huge limitation for what you can accomplish because the distortion inherent in the factory amplifier is further amplified.  This matters because the shop is proposing putting an amplifier after an amplifier - which means you're amplifying distortion. 

You need to keep the factory radio because of the level of integration.  And you need to keep the factory amplifier because of the optical connection.  The JL Fix is a good product that helps with the factory EQ but it cannot eliminate distortion.  If you keep the head unit volume low (i.e. don't use it) and only use an external volume control in a DSP (like the JL Twk) then you can get the cleanest signal possible.

You listed a 5 channel amp, that I assume is intended to power the factory speakers.  But in the Touring model each speaker has a different amplifier channel for each speaker - 10 total.  What speakers are you planning on using?   If you want your car to sound as good as you describe, you'll need enough amplifier channels to control each speaker.  Maybe you could omit the center channel from the plan and keep it on the factory amp - what comes out of it?  You could use a JL Audio VXi amplifier VX800/8i that feeds a monoblock for the sub which would give you the DSP flexibility to get the factory system sounding as good as possible.  But the factory speakers will then be your limiting factor.  Replacing them is another challenge. 

I'm not saying this to discourage you.  I've gone though great lengths to get my Accord sounding great.  But you should be aware of the challenges.

Last edited by a moderator:
The main issue you have with that car is the audio signal between the head unit and the amplifier is a proprietary optical signal, so you have to get the signal after the factory amp.  The control to the factory amp is via RS-485.  That is a huge limitation for what you can accomplish because the distortion inherent in the factory amplifier is further amplified.  This matters because the shop is proposing putting an amplifier after an amplifier - which means you're amplifying distortion. 

You need to keep the factory radio because of the level of integration.  And you need to keep the factory amplifier because of the optical connection.  The JL Fix is a good product that helps with the factory EQ but it cannot eliminate distortion.  If you keep the head unit volume low (i.e. don't use it) and only use an external volume control in a DSP (like the JL Twk) then you can get the cleanest signal possible.

You listed a 5 channel amp, that I assume is intended to power the factory speakers.  But in the Touring model each speaker has a different amplifier channel for each speaker - 10 total.  What speakers are you planning on using?   If you want your car to sound as good as you describe, you'll need enough amplifier channels to control each speaker.  Maybe you could omit the center channel from the plan and keep it on the factory amp - what comes out of it?  You could use a JL Audio VXi amplifier VX800/8i that feeds a monoblock for the sub which would give you the DSP flexibility to get the factory system sounding as good as possible.  But the factory speakers will then be your limiting factor.  Replacing them is another challenge. 

I'm not saying this to discourage you.  I've gone though great lengths to get my Accord sounding great.  But you should be aware of the challenges.
anyway to convert optical to analog to bypass stock amp?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.