Need Help with a new build

Participant count
  • Participant list

Radcman7

CarAudio.com Newbie
I'm getting a 10-13 Mazda 3 Hatchback pretty soon now. I'm trying to decide if I want to keep my current system or upgrade it. Just looking for some advice.

Current system

Pioneer AVH-X4700BS headunit

NVX JAD 900.5 5 channel amp 75w x 4 at 4ohm 440w x 1 at 2ohm

Polk audio db 6.5 components and coaxial 

Sundown SD3-10 in underseat truck box.

Option one would be swap the shallow sd3-10 for a sundown sa-8 v3 in a ported box, how would it be on 440w at 2ohms. Maybe swap the 6.5" coaxial for 6x8 coaxial for rear door. I'm sure the ported sa-8 would have more bang then the 10 in a sealed box, cheapest option

option two would be upgrade the amp and do the sa-8. I want to keep a 5 channel for easy and less space. I was looking at the hifonics brutus btx 60w x 4 at 4ohm and 750w at 2ohm 1000w at 1ohm, loose power to speakers but gain power in sub stage or the soundstream t5.2500DL 75w x 4 at 4ohm, 500w at 2ohm and 750w at 1ohm. would cost a bit more but is the cost of a new amp worth the gain?

option three upgrade to one of the amps and do the x-8, most costly of the three options. 

Any other options, I want to keep a 5-channel amp and do a single 8" as long as I can do that I'm open to any suggestions. I'm happy with the speakers so don't really find a need to change them. just looking for my best option for low end. Not looking for SPL or SQ just something that's easy to listen to without breaking the bank.

Option one would be swap the shallow sd3-10 for a sundown sa-8 v3 in a ported box, how would it be on 440w at 2ohms. Maybe swap the 6.5" coaxial for 6x8 coaxial for rear door. I'm sure the ported sa-8 would have more bang then the 10 in a sealed box, cheapest option
How do you know the 8 will be louder? you are giving up cone area and keeping the same power so??? Yes ported would be louder but you are losing cone area so it could be a toss up. If you are going to upgrade power and go ported then would definitely make a difference. For the X-8 you would need to double power over the SA to have a noticeable difference. even then it is not like wholly **** difference.

I'd like to keep the whole build under $500, which is why I wanted to reuse what I have.
I would keep the NVX 5ch and move up in cone area. A single 8 isn't going to produce a whole lot, even ported, especially on the limited power of a 5ch. Switching to an efficient 10 or 12 with a well designed ported enclosure will give you some good bang for the buck. You could save a lot of money by building the enclosure yourself too. For under $150 (sub and box materials) you could easily accomplish your goal.

I would keep the NVX 5ch and move up in cone area. A single 8 isn't going to produce a whole lot, even ported, especially on the limited power of a 5ch. Switching to an efficient 10 or 12 with a well designed ported enclosure will give you some good bang for the buck. You could save a lot of money by building the enclosure yourself too. For under $150 (sub and box materials) you could easily accomplish your goal.
Yea I have no problem building my box. The 8s more or less for space saving. My previous vehicle I was running two sets of Rockford fosgate t2 components, rf power t400.4, two rf power t1000.1 one for each sundown sa-12. All in a scion tc. Not super high end, but I spent a good bit on that setup. Now I'm focusing more or less on a lower budget build just want something decent not really looking to get crazy loud. I think I'll try the sa-8 out and worse case sell it and move up to a 10 or 12.

If space is your issue then I agee with THATpurpleKush.  Give it a run but a separate class D subwoofer amp will give you more power then the 5 channel amp and with subwoofers, its the box that makes the difference and the size does matter if you want more then a 'thump' in your system. Good to know you have some woodworking skills to churn out a box so that's saving money on your part.  Give it a run for a week and if you are still not happy then upgrade to a larger subwoofer that works well in minimal space.  I can understand downsizing from the T2's to 8 inch is a big difference but its always good to change things after a while and less pressure on your ears as well! :veryhapp:

If space is your issue then I agee with THATpurpleKush.  Give it a run but a separate class D subwoofer amp will give you more power then the 5 channel amp and with subwoofers, its the box that makes the difference and the size does matter if you want more then a 'thump' in your system. Good to know you have some woodworking skills to churn out a box so that's saving money on your part.  Give it a run for a week and if you are still not happy then upgrade to a larger subwoofer that works well in minimal space.  I can understand downsizing from the T2's to 8 inch is a big difference but its always good to change things after a while and less pressure on your ears as well! :veryhapp:
Yea, I figured, I'll just run with it. The system in my scion was so heavy on an already heavy vehicle. Not  looking to get into all that again, at least not for a while. Also I saw a post from Jacob at sundown saying underpowering the subs you could do a slightly larger box. Website Recomments .5-.75 cu on rated rms or slightly more, what about slightly less could I do like .8-1cu or keep it at the recommended?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.