Bass sounds muddy in my car

melomy

CarAudio.com Newbie
The bass in my car sounds muddy, it's not THAT bad but it could be better.

First I had a JVC CS-BW120 subwoofer with a JVC KS-AX202 amplifier on a stock head unit (opel corsa D). It sounded terrible.

I switched to a Rockford Fosgate R1-1X10 sub with a Rockford Prime R250X4 amp. This sounds better but still muddy and boomy.

I thought the first set I had was broken or something. I installed it in my friends Golf 6 today and it sounds amazing. So there must be something wrong with my setup?

Things I tried:

• 2 different ground points
  • New head unit (Pioneer MVH-S300BT)
  • EQ settings
  • All possible gain settings
  • Amp tight punch setting (+6db & +12db)
  • New rca cables
Also worth noting that I have to use the loudness equalizer for any bass to come out pretty much.

It makes me think my trunk is just too small or something for good bass. Any ideas?

Muddy could be several things or a combination of things. First I would turn the Punch eq to off. Boosting a frequency will make that frequency louder adding to the boominess. Learn to set a gain . It is not a volume knob and should not be treated as so. You will fry your speaker. What are the specs of the enclosure it is in? Using loudness eq should not be required if so then you did something wrong or you are expecting to much from that gear. Is your car a hatchback or trunk?

Muddy could be several things or a combination of things. First I would turn the Punch eq to off. Boosting a frequency will make that frequency louder adding to the boominess. Learn to set a gain . It is not a volume knob and should not be treated as so. You will fry your speaker. What are the specs of the enclosure it is in? Using loudness eq should not be required if so then you did something wrong or you are expecting to much from that gear. Is your car a hatchback or trunk?
Without the punch eq I have to set my gain to about 70% and it's still weak + it doesn't sound as good. I currently have it set at +6db. I need to use the loudness eq to even hear my subwoofer while this is not the case in my friends car (with my old sub). I had this issue with the old subwoofer in my car as well.

I know about the gain and I set it by ear on a high volume.

The subwoofer is in a sealed enclosure and my car is a hatchback.

Maybe I should try another head unit.

I've set it at 3 atm. But I also tried it with 8 and a lower gain setting. Same thing happens.
First I'd set everything back to 0 meaning no boost loudness off flat eq. Turn the swl all the way up and re set your gain.

What's that sub a prime r1 single 4 ohm voice coil? I assume you have the amp bridged? What's it rated at bridged 100 150 watts? Subs what 250 rms? Sealed box low wattage not helping much if I'm correct about what you have but try that see if that's any better. What amplifier does your buddy have?

First I'd set everything back to 0 meaning no boost loudness off flat eq. Turn the swl all the way up and re set your gain.

What's that sub a prime r1 single 4 ohm voice coil? I assume you have the amp bridged? What's it rated at bridged 100 150 watts? Subs what 250 rms? Sealed box low wattage not helping much if I'm correct about what you have but try that see if that's any better. What amplifier does your buddy have?
The subwoofer is 200watt RMS. Specs can be seen here: https://rockfordfosgate.com/products/details/r1-1x10/ . Amp is bridged and rated for 125 Watts x 2 @ 4-Ohms Bridged.

My buddy his amplifier is a JVC KS-AX202. Note that I used his subwoofer and amplifier previously in my car and it didn't sound as good as his. Exact same wires etc but he has a stock head unit.

Some extra things: my speaker wire from the amp to the subwoofer is pretty thin and this is my grounding point. I sanded down the metal behind that black bar thing and put the ground on the other side (so not like on the picture where it is on the front).

On the other picture you can see the size of my speaker cable. I think they are 14awg.

51400235_593709101078003_276738121704407040_n.jpg

51221249_320598571927479_945362034592055296_n.jpg

That ground is terrible. need to get to bare metal. 

That amp does 120 watts bridged, not going to be banging on that power. Sealed box, Low power, improper tuning, entry level equipment, all equals less then stellar performance.I think you are expecting to much from what you have. 

That ground is terrible. need to get to bare metal. 

That amp does 120 watts bridged, not going to be banging on that power. Sealed box, Low power, improper tuning, entry level equipment, all equals less then stellar performance.I think you are expecting to much from what you have. 
Alright I'll change the ground and see if it changes anything. I think the amp does 250watts bridged?

I know it's not the best equipment but believe me it should do more than this. Just the fact that my old subwoofer plays much better in my friends car means something is wrong with my setup.

You have what you have. You're sending the amp a weak azz signal withthe swl at 3. Why your gain is so high. 

Generally a sealed set up needs all the power it can handle. You're not helping anything using that amp on it imo.

A single entry level 10 on 125w in a sealed enclosure won't do much. The sub is likely getting 50w after impedance rise if you're lucky. 

Could also be a combination of what I just mentioned plus poor cabin acoustics and a weak input signal.

You have what you have. You're sending the amp a weak azz signal withthe swl at 3. Why your gain is so high. 

Generally a sealed set up needs all the power it can handle. You're not helping anything using that amp on it imo.
So I should put my subwoofer setting at 10 (max) on my head unit? I thought this was bad practice as the head unit will amplify the sound then and may cause distortion.

My amp is this one:

https://rockfordfosgate.com/products/details/r250x4/

It's rated at 250watt rms and my subwoofer is 200watt rms. Shouldn't it be enough?

I appreciate the help guys.

A single entry level 10 on 125w in a sealed enclosure won't do much. The sub is likely getting 50w after impedance rise if you're lucky. 

Could also be a combination of what I just mentioned plus poor cabin acoustics and a weak input signal.
My cousin has the same subwoofer with the 2 channel version of my amplifier and it sounds way better. I know it's not a very powerful system but it should sound better.

So I should put my subwoofer setting at 10 (max) on my head unit? I thought this was bad practice as the head unit will amplify the sound then and may cause distortion.

My amp is this one:

https://rockfordfosgate.com/products/details/r250x4/

It's rated at 250watt rms and my subwoofer is 200watt rms. Shouldn't it be enough?

I appreciate the help guys.
Yes turn it all the way up re set. That's 250 x 4. Probably at 2 ohms. Idk im at work so im not looking at your links. Just going off what you're saying . SoThats 125 x1 bridged Plus what kush said lol

Yes turn it all the way up re set. That's 250 x 4. Probably at 2 ohms. Idk im at work so im not looking at your links. Just going off what you're saying . SoThats 125 x1 bridged Plus what kush said lol
I'll try that. Appreciate it man.

Also it's 125 x 2 bridged at 4ohms.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.