All cheap amps garbage?

Pezzy

CarAudio.com Newbie
I know you get what you pay for but if a budget amp does its rated power, apart from being inefficient and creating a lot of heat is there any other reason why it should be avoided?

I'm currently looking to drive two 10's or 12's in my car and bought a Pioneer GM-D9601 but was told by an audio shop that it's garbage. I've now cancelled the order and I'm looking for another amp. So far I've been recommended the JL Audio JX1000/1D and Ground Zero Iridium GZIA 1.1450DX-II which seem like good amps.

As for subs, I'm looking at either some Ground Zero Iridiums or Uraniums or Alpine Type R's.

Not sure why they'd tell you that? Guessing you didn't buy it at that shop. 

They have a good reputation around here and do rated power. I wouldn't be scared to run one. 

Not sure why they'd tell you that? Guessing you didn't buy it at that shop. 

They have a good reputation around here and do rated power. I wouldn't be scared to run one. 
See, I did some research before I bought it and I know it does its rated power so I was quite surprised the shop told me it wasn't suitable. Plus it's getting good reviews all round. Pioneer has always been a decent make so maybe I should give it a try. So much conflicting info!

Any idea on what subs would be well suited with it to get a loud SQ setup in a medium sized ported enclosure?

See, I did some research before I bought it and I know it does its rated power so I was quite surprised the shop told me it wasn't suitable. Plus it's getting good reviews all round. Pioneer has always been a decent make so maybe I should give it a try. So much conflicting info!

Any idea on what subs would be well suited with it to get a loud SQ setup in a medium sized ported enclosure?
I'm guessing that shop probably tried to sell you one of the amps they carry?

As far as subs. I don't have any recommendations.  You could start a new thread and post available air space amp you are gonna use and goals etc. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm guessing that shop probably tried to sell you one of the amps they carry?

As far as subs. I don't have any recommendations.  You could start a new thread and post available air space amp you are gonna use and goals etc. 
Hes already got a thread about ground zero subs. He's prob in the uk so not much help can be provided due to market limitations.

Hes already got a thread about ground zero subs. He's prob in the uk so not much help can be provided due to market limitations.
Oh ok i missed that thread.

Must **** to be limited seems like the choices are over abundant here.

Never know what someone's  definition of a medium sized ported box is or loud sq for that matter. I'm not sure how people give recommendations from that information but they do.

I say pioneer 3003 or fu 750. (Inside joke op)

if it was some power acoustik or hifonics or boss amp than it would make sense. However that pioneer is proven performer on amplifier dynos to do is power and extra high reliability ratings from consumers.  That shop is full of idiots and never come close to them again, those fkers just want your money. Or they are newbs that live in a car audio bubble thinking JL is the best there is which is definitely not. 

it does 1 ohm so you could get 1200 out of it just make sure to run it at 1 ohm. i have a punch 1000bd and it runs 1497 watts rms and is about 150 dollars more so i would say it is a good deal. car audio places always push certain products so dont believe them. pioneer makes good products. i love the pioneer hu's

if it was some power acoustik or hifonics or boss amp than it would make sense. However that pioneer is proven performer on amplifier dynos to do is power and extra high reliability ratings from consumers.  That shop is full of idiots and never come close to them again, those fkers just want your money. Or they are newbs that live in a car audio bubble thinking JL is the best there is which is definitely not. 
Just shows you how easily you can be influenced. The guy said he's been in the car audio business for decades bla bla bla. He wasn't pushing his own products to be fair and he recommended the JL CP212 subs for the Pioneer if I decided to keep it. Maybe he's just a rich snob that only has the best of the best!

Oh ok i missed that thread.

Must **** to be limited seems like the choices are over abundant here.

Never know what someone's  definition of a medium sized ported box is or loud sq for that matter. I'm not sure how people give recommendations from that information but they do.

I say pioneer 3003 or fu 750. (Inside joke op)
Yeah car sound isn't as big over here and there's nowhere you can go where you can hear different setups in the shops(that I know of at least). I have a BMW 335i coupe so the boot space is limited. I've always had sealed enclosures but want to try out a ported enclosure. They are typically too big to fit in the back of my car especially with two subs so I'm looking for a suitable solution. The prefabbed boxes and subs from JL and Kicker etc. will just about go in but I'm not sure how well they will perform against a custom enclosure. So I guess I'll have to make the best out of a bad situation.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.