Pezzy

All cheap amps garbage?

I know you get what you pay for but if a budget amp does its rated power, apart from being inefficient and creating a lot of heat is there any other reason why it should be avoided?

I'm currently looking to drive two 10's or 12's in my car and bought a Pioneer GM-D9601 but was told by an audio shop that it's garbage. I've now cancelled the order and I'm looking for another amp. So far I've been recommended the JL Audio JX1000/1D and Ground Zero Iridium GZIA 1.1450DX-II which seem like good amps.

As for subs, I'm looking at either some Ground Zero Iridiums or Uraniums or Alpine Type R's.

1 hour ago, SUPER_YOCOM said:

Go reorder the Pioneer.

Yocom

Why?

Not sure why they'd tell you that? Guessing you didn't buy it at that shop. 

They have a good reputation around here and do rated power. I wouldn't be scared to run one. 

2006 ridgeline hu:KW ddx9903s morel 5.25 maximo comps 6.5 maximo coaxial 2 type r 8s 1.1 37 hz amp Rf t1000x5ab

work truck 2017 international pro star Alpine ute62 hu. Amps RF t1000.5ad 4 ch mode infinity k1000  sa 15 3.5 @ 30hz or 2 type s12 6.3 @ 41 hz  or jbl s3 1.5 42hz. or nvx  vcw 10 1.1 @ 32hz  2 8 " eminence pro woofers. 2" Dayton rs52fn midrange. 1 1/8 Dayton dc28f silk dome tweeters.

Any of the 3 will work just fine, so comes down to how much you want to spend.

Traded with, bought from: Anthony O, Mitchell0715, kuda, Chevy Blazin', Babs, Captain Obvious, ciaonzo

'13 Camaro SS/RS

Kenwood DDX9903S - Arc PS-8

Arc Audio XDi 1200.6 - Audiofrog GB10, GB25, GB60

Helix SPXL1000 - (2) Audiofrog GB12D4 IB

4 minutes ago, fithwheel said:

Not sure why they'd tell you that? Guessing you didn't buy it at that shop. 

They have a good reputation around here and do rated power. I wouldn't be scared to run one. 

See, I did some research before I bought it and I know it does its rated power so I was quite surprised the shop told me it wasn't suitable. Plus it's getting good reviews all round. Pioneer has always been a decent make so maybe I should give it a try. So much conflicting info!

Any idea on what subs would be well suited with it to get a loud SQ setup in a medium sized ported enclosure?

Nothing wrong with that pioneer amp, that shop is a bunch of wankers. 

giphy.gif

26 minutes ago, Pezzy said:

See, I did some research before I bought it and I know it does its rated power so I was quite surprised the shop told me it wasn't suitable. Plus it's getting good reviews all round. Pioneer has always been a decent make so maybe I should give it a try. So much conflicting info!

Any idea on what subs would be well suited with it to get a loud SQ setup in a medium sized ported enclosure?

I'm guessing that shop probably tried to sell you one of the amps they carry?

As far as subs. I don't have any recommendations.  You could start a new thread and post available air space amp you are gonna use and goals etc. 

Edited by fithwheel

2006 ridgeline hu:KW ddx9903s morel 5.25 maximo comps 6.5 maximo coaxial 2 type r 8s 1.1 37 hz amp Rf t1000x5ab

work truck 2017 international pro star Alpine ute62 hu. Amps RF t1000.5ad 4 ch mode infinity k1000  sa 15 3.5 @ 30hz or 2 type s12 6.3 @ 41 hz  or jbl s3 1.5 42hz. or nvx  vcw 10 1.1 @ 32hz  2 8 " eminence pro woofers. 2" Dayton rs52fn midrange. 1 1/8 Dayton dc28f silk dome tweeters.

1 hour ago, fithwheel said:

I'm guessing that shop probably tried to sell you one of the amps they carry?

As far as subs. I don't have any recommendations.  You could start a new thread and post available air space amp you are gonna use and goals etc. 

Hes already got a thread about ground zero subs. He's prob in the uk so not much help can be provided due to market limitations.

giphy.gif

4 minutes ago, THATpurpleKUSH said:

Hes already got a thread about ground zero subs. He's prob in the uk so not much help can be provided due to market limitations.

Oh ok i missed that thread.

Must suck to be limited seems like the choices are over abundant here.

Never know what someone's  definition of a medium sized ported box is or loud sq for that matter. I'm not sure how people give recommendations from that information but they do.

I say pioneer 3003 or fu 750. (Inside joke op)

10 minutes ago, fithwheel said:

Never know what someone's  definition of a medium sized ported box is or loud sq for that matter. I'm not sure how people give recommendations from that information but they do.

Don't forget the ppi 1k :rotflol:

giphy.gif

14 hours ago, Pezzy said:

if it was some power acoustik or hifonics or boss amp than it would make sense. However that pioneer is proven performer on amplifier dynos to do is power and extra high reliability ratings from consumers.  That shop is full of idiots and never come close to them again, those fkers just want your money. Or they are newbs that live in a car audio bubble thinking JL is the best there is which is definitely not. 

09 Sienna Subs : Four Team Ascendant 18s......Sub amp: Two Taramps 15k

Headunit: Pioneer 80PRS......Mids/Highs two pioneer gm 8604 bridged, one at 4 ohms bridged one at 2 ohms bridged, one ppi 600.2 for tweets.

Front stage: Two PWX 10s per door midbass only....... PRV 6MR500 midrange....... Massive CT 2 german tweeters.

320 amp Singer alt....... 1 group 34 under the hood 6 group31 agms in the back 560 amp hours total.

it does 1 ohm so you could get 1200 out of it just make sure to run it at 1 ohm. i have a punch 1000bd and it runs 1497 watts rms and is about 150 dollars more so i would say it is a good deal. car audio places always push certain products so dont believe them. pioneer makes good products. i love the pioneer hu's

2 hours ago, Jeffdachef said:

if it was some power acoustik or hifonics or boss amp than it would make sense. However that pioneer is proven performer on amplifier dynos to do is power and extra high reliability ratings from consumers.  That shop is full of idiots and never come close to them again, those fkers just want your money. Or they are newbs that live in a car audio bubble thinking JL is the best there is which is definitely not. 

Just shows you how easily you can be influenced. The guy said he's been in the car audio business for decades bla bla bla. He wasn't pushing his own products to be fair and he recommended the JL CP212 subs for the Pioneer if I decided to keep it. Maybe he's just a rich snob that only has the best of the best!

14 hours ago, fithwheel said:

Yeah car sound isn't as big over here and there's nowhere you can go where you can hear different setups in the shops(that I know of at least). I have a BMW 335i coupe so the boot space is limited. I've always had sealed enclosures but want to try out a ported enclosure. They are typically too big to fit in the back of my car especially with two subs so I'm looking for a suitable solution. The prefabbed boxes and subs from JL and Kicker etc. will just about go in but I'm not sure how well they will perform against a custom enclosure. So I guess I'll have to make the best out of a bad situation.

23 minutes ago, Pezzy said:

Yeah car sound isn't as big over here and there's nowhere you can go where you can hear different setups in the shops(that I know of at least). I have a BMW 335i coupe so the boot space is limited. I've always had sealed enclosures but want to try out a ported enclosure. They are typically too big to fit in the back of my car especially with two subs so I'm looking for a suitable solution. The prefabbed boxes and subs from JL and Kicker etc. will just about go in but I'm not sure how well they will perform against a custom enclosure. So I guess I'll have to make the best out of a bad situation.

they will do fine if you listen to rock, pop or trance type of musics that doenst really get low along with settling for so so output, would still be decently louder than sealed but there's always room for more. For rap and stuff that goes really low and deep, you'd want a custom enclosure. For maximum efficiency and output, you'd want a custom enclosure. However custom enclosures will be at least 1.5x to 2x bigger than those prefab boxes.

32 minutes ago, Pezzy said:

Just shows you how easily you can be influenced. The guy said he's been in the car audio business for decades bla bla bla. He wasn't pushing his own products to be fair and he recommended the JL CP212 subs for the Pioneer if I decided to keep it. Maybe he's just a rich snob that only has the best of the best!

If he wanted best of the best, JL wouldn't be in his mouth. There's other SQ brands that completely destroy JL. For loudness there's plenty of brands that outright spank JL. However most brick and mortar shops that just do it for the money only know and live by JL and blind to the rest of the world of car audio.

09 Sienna Subs : Four Team Ascendant 18s......Sub amp: Two Taramps 15k

Headunit: Pioneer 80PRS......Mids/Highs two pioneer gm 8604 bridged, one at 4 ohms bridged one at 2 ohms bridged, one ppi 600.2 for tweets.

Front stage: Two PWX 10s per door midbass only....... PRV 6MR500 midrange....... Massive CT 2 german tweeters.

320 amp Singer alt....... 1 group 34 under the hood 6 group31 agms in the back 560 amp hours total.

I am running all Rockford punch and power series and I have nice clear sound. Had no issues. However i am only getting 2350 watts rms because i don't care about spl just sq

I did custom install and built the box myself so it is just how I want it to sound

Lots of cheap amps are cookie cutter thrown together stuff like the Vizio tv's. They don't have to pay salaries and benefits to real in house engineers like companies such as RF, JL and Alpine do. 

Pioneer amps lack subsonic filters. Other than that they are good for the money. Will they last as long? Who knows. 

The 9701 replaced the 9601. Not sure what changes besides cosmetics. 

Kenwood KDC-X597 head unit, Alpine R-S65C.2 comps, RF P300.2 amp, Pioneer TS-W3003D4 sub i(1.5cf @ 40hz), JBL GTR-1001 amp, Knukonceptz fuse blocks/wiring, Stinger 4k series rca's. 

pioneer monos are soild and tons of people swear by audiopipes $103-$170 for the 2k

KENWOOD X301 HU, PRECISION POWER Phantom 1000, FU 750 12, 2.1cfad ported, soundqubed 6.5" coax/doors, hp & lp xover on hu, AGM starting batt...

Boomin_tahoe said:
2 ohms rule

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now