cross-post: Matching amp to sub(s)

BIGGYGO

CarAudio.com Newbie
Looking for advice about some options for an amp to run the sub (or subs) I have.

First off, I have a set of old (at least 15 years old but in excellent shape) Audiobahn AW1005 subs (900watt RMS each) - not going to buy new subs, just work with me on these, please...

I think I've decided to break up the pair and put one of each in two different vehicles (2001 Audi A6 Avant and either a 2003 Suburban or 1993 Honda Accord).

I have done a bit of looking around and I have found a few amps that look like they'd fit the bill and just wanted your opinions and input - maybe even some recommendations, if you have them:

Kenwood KAC 9106D (new $299 vs $169 factory refurbished) - 500w RMS x1 @ 4ohms/  1000w RMS x1 @ 2ohms

JBL GTR 1001 ($179 new) - 700w @ 4 ohms/ 1000w @ 2ohms

Infinity Kappa K1000 ($199 new) - same as above (700/1000)

Also, not sure about the size of box to use or to go vented/ported or sealed.

Any input is appreciated.

Great questions - thanks.

I don't want to spend a ton, so I really want to stay under $200 (as far as possible) - but obviously, I don't want trash.

None of the vehicles have any upgrades. I'd love to learn some specifics about how to go about this, as well.

As far as listening goals go, I have outgrown the BIG BASS phase (meaning I've gotten old) but I would love to have some bass to augment the (basically) stock Bose systems. There are times I like to listen to my music loud, though, and I'd like to be able to comfortably outperform my comfortable listening levels. I listen to damn near everything besides country. Old school hip hop and R&B, mostly - but I also enjoy some sessions of classic rock.

I have better nunchuck and bo-staff skills than woodworking skills. But I'm not completely helpless on a saw.

Thanks again for the questions and answers.

You'll want to check the sizes of the alternators in your vehicles. If you upgrade your main starting battery to an AGM and do a big 3 upgrade you should be able to support upwards of 2000w rms depending on the vehicle. The Suburban likely has the largest alternator in your fleet. Figure 100a of power needed for every 1krms the amp is rated for. A vehicle with a 100a alt and a 50ah battery could support 1500rms of amplifiers. 

There are some decent amps out there for under $200 but it's important to do your homework on them. Look for something with a dyno vid that shows the power you are truly paying for. 

If you can build a box yourself you can save a lot of $$ and it will sound good and get loud. You can buy a box design and it will include a cut sheet that you can take into a lumber store and they will cut the pieces to your specs and then all you have to do is assemble them. It's a lot easier than you might think and doesn't require a ton of tools either. 

I would put those subs in a ported box, about 2.5-3 cubic feet tuned in the mid to upper 30s. 

Thanks.

What about adding a separate Optima Yellow Top?

Will I also need a capacitor?

Like I said, I'm not looking to blow the windows out (been there) but I don't want to hurt any equipment or my vehicles.

Upgrading the alternator on the Audi isn't really a viable option (it's a MAJOR pain in the ass! And expensive!) The 'Burban is simple as pie, though.

Thanks.

What about adding a separate Optima Yellow Top?

Will I also need a capacitor?

Like I said, I'm not looking to blow the windows out (been there) but I don't want to hurt any equipment or my vehicles.

Upgrading the alternator on the Audi isn't really a viable option (it's a MAJOR pain in the ass! And expensive!) The 'Burban is simple as pie, though.
Optima quality these days isn't so great. XS Power, Northstar, Odyssey, X2 Power (rebranded Northstar), Deka are all good top shelf choices.

Duracell Platinums at Sams Club are the budget buys in their respective size.

You are better off adding a second battery or upgrading the alternator than wasting $ on a capacitor, unless its a bank of the new super caps which is a whole other discussion itself. 

I'll have to do some research on adding a second battery, it looks like...

Thanks for the insight!

I saw a list of "good" and "bad" brands on here, somewhere...but subsequent searches haven't turned it back up. I've been out of "the game" for about 20 years (when I knew what was quality and what was crap), so forgive my ignorance. That's why I'm looking to you guys for guidance.

Thanks, again.

Stadium 1000 replaced the GTR-1001. They added a remote level control and auto turn on switch and the power/protect lights were moved from the top to the side. The Infinity versions have a subsonic filter. 

Check out williston audio labs and budget gem or budget bust youtube channels, they test various amps.

Stadium 1000 replaced the GTR-1001. They added a remote level control and auto turn on switch and the power/protect lights were moved from the top to the side. The Infinity versions have a subsonic filter. 
Thanks, guys!

I stayed up WAY too late last night watching these videos, searching for videos of amps I am considering.

I'll take a closer look at that Stadium 1000, since it replaced the "sister sub" of the Infinity I'm strongly leaning toward right now.

I understand that they are discontinuing the Infinity K1000 - is that right?

As always, I appreciate the ideas and questions and answers!

Thanks, guys!

I stayed up WAY too late last night watching these videos, searching for videos of amps I am considering.

I'll take a closer look at that Stadium 1000, since it replaced the "sister sub" of the Infinity I'm strongly leaning toward right now.

I understand that they are discontinuing the Infinity K1000 - is that right?

As always, I appreciate the ideas and questions and answers!
Yeah k 1000 is discontinued. Crutchfield had them up till about a week ago. Check Wal-Mart they might still have some

Trigger pulled. Excited to get this ball rolling - it's been a long time.

Now to start the research about choosing/designing/building the box.

I have a box that the pair subs were in (vented) and they romped...but dropping to a single sub, I am going to have to brush up on my math to figure out the best design - then get my Bob Villa on!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.