Limiting charge current to battery with resistor

Participant count
  • Participants list

kcr357
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
ft laud
Putting a 1k system into a boat, will have an isolated dedicated battery for the amps and radio.  The charging system is only good for 15 amps, and some have a tendency to be finicky/fragile when excessive draw is introduced. (Mainly due to ecu failure )  what i plan on doing is using a 300ish watt .5 ohm inline resistor to limited current to the amp battery to 7.5 amps.

Anyone have input?

i honestly wouldnt put that large of a stereo in boat with weak charging capabilties.....last thing you want is to be stranded with dead battery way out in the water....(start paddling LOL)....but thats just my opinion....but than again im not too familiar with boats, but have been stranded on the water in a boat at night and it *****

Last edited by a moderator:
Thats the reason im running an isolated battery just tor the system.

Dont think the resistor will work on second thought

The resistor will work for charging the battery, but it won't alleviate the load that you believe is killing the ECU 

You need to consider the entire circuit

I'm guessing the charging system is internal to the boat engine and thus limited in size?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah the charging system is a stator Magneto Magneto type some versions had an alternator but not mine. I don't believe it'll be a problem with the ECU on this engine but my friend had a different type of boat with a different computer setup and dead end up burning out his ECU. Just trying to stay on the safe side

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.