So many choices, such little space

Participant count
  • Participants list

Freggles

CarAudio.com Newbie
[SIZE=12pt]So I just picked up an old ‘92 Sonoma. It’s a single cab truck with literally zero speakers but a “dual” head unit. I would like to make a symmetric set of custom speaker boxes for behind the seats but I’m not sure of how to configure the speakers in the boxes or what speakers to get. I’m not an audiophile but I do like good quality loud music. The space I have is a right triangular prism. 10 inch base, 20 inch height, and 16 inches wide is the space I have to work with behind each seat (see drawings)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]I figure I can put speakers facing the seat or out the sides of the boxes or both. If they are on the sides of the boxes they will be facing each other and therefor cancelling each other out correct? And if they are facing the seats they will be muffled because there would only be an inch of air in front of them. There’s definitely more real estate to work with having them face the seat (19x16)  so I could have larger speakers that way. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Now on to speaker selection. I don’t know anything about wiring up speakers, so I would get some help with that. As for what to purchase I’m drowning in a sea of subs, amps, tweeters, component speakers, etc. and I don’t know what a complete system needs. I would like a good bit of bass but I want to be able to hear my music clearly as well. There’s a set of four Kicker 43CSC654 6.5" 2-Way Car Speakers that comes with a 4-channel Autotech amplifier for $220. Would this cover all bases or would I still need tweeters and subs? I still have space for two 8” subs in the box.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Any suggestion on what to purchase and how to set it up would be awesome! I can post up some pics of what I’m working with if someone would be kind enough to show me how to post pictures to this thread using the reddit app. Thanks![/SIZE]

D7E8DE75-9357-4E8D-B30F-9A3E8AB54204.png

472EE521-12A8-4CA6-924C-13ACB2D7EEA8.png

8B5EC1A8-7E22-4C72-A519-931D357056DB.png

CB05B206-84FF-4161-81D4-447C7B5F2DE3.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I just bought a ‘94 extended cab!

The only thing you need behind the seat are a set of shallow subs that work with the airspace you have. All other sound/speakers should be in front of you. I just ripped into mine, and it has holes in each side of the dash for 4x6’s, and I think 6.5’s in the doors, but I haven’t taken the doors apart yet.

Im going to try to use the empty space down into the dash to make pods for 3” mids and tweeters. I’d also like to build kicks, instead of messing with door rattles, and I’m thinking 8’s there. This is just a daily jalopy for me, so it will be a chance to learn how to fiberglass. I also want to build a center console, custom sub box, and amp rack.

Just remember, you will need room for amps, distribution blocks, dsp, etc along with your sub boxes, so your planning will be critical. Mine has a V6 crammed in it, so I think I’ll be running power wire underneath the cab as well.

For more useful answers to your questions, post your end goal for your system, 2-way or 3-way front stage, active/passive, and the budget you are working with. There is cheap, inexpensive, budget-minded, expensive, and ultra-expensive equipment out there. Depending on what you have in mind, many of us have tons of used great equipment for sale. Don’t be scared to ask before you blow your hard earned money on cheap crap.

take apart the door and try to cut a hole into the door and mount speakers there. You dont want any speakers behind you other than subwoofers and the box will have to be ported with ports firing to the side. You cant just shove whatever you want and expect it to sound good, it doesnt work that way. There's proper alignments to everything that goes into a truck sound system.  Hold off on buy and try to learn a lot more before doing any thing.  

Autotek is a trash brand for amps Definitely skip on that deal. 

Thanks for the advice. Can’t do speakers in the doors because both doors come off like a Jeep setup and I don’t want to miss out on half my system when the weather is nice. Might be able to fit a singe 6.5 under the Ebrake on the drivers side and one more on the passenger side by the feet as well. I’ll post up some pictures tomorrow and maybe that’ll help. 

I’ll definitely plan out exactly where the speakers need to go and then I can select the right size and shape after that. Thanks

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.