Voltage drop (Battery, Alt or other)?

Participant count
  • Participants list

West1
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
The last month my voltage drops really low during some songs that hit hard. For the past 6-8 months, my voltage has stayed above 14, and rarely dropped to 13.8 on the songs now carrying my to low 12.8-13.3

Cold start, my Voltage is at 14.6 and after about 10min my voltage stays at 14.2-14.4

I thought it was my XS Power @the hood but it reads 12.83 solo. The Duracell reads 12.78 when I test solo. Mechman belt looks good and tension feels fine.

I notice almost every song gets me to high 13's and heavy bass drops me to low 13's and at times high 12's (mids start to flicker at this point).

Volts do rise back to 14.2-14.4. This sudden change of dropping a max of 1.5volts worries me.

Things I have done-

stripped pos/ground on Sub amp and reconnected

checked grounds on both amps

checked door speakers for loose wires

meter mids amp, stays within .2 of stinger meter on sub

XS Power- 1yr old

Duracell- 6 months

Mechman- 1.5yr

Belt- 8 months old

Not sure what else I can do to find the problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
By metering my batteries on a cold start then meter between Battery and Alt, is this the proper way to see if HO Alt is draining power?

Voltage drop is typically due to lose connection somewhere. I would start there 1st before spending $$ on unnecessary things. Next up is corrosion in the wiring itself, w/o you knowing about it. 3rdly, you never mentioned what size wire your using and if it's CCA or OFC. Hopefully a good quality brand too. Have you done the big 3 at all? What vehicle are we talking about here?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.