Subwoofer only works when all audio balances to one side

Tenderman

CarAudio.com Newbie
So i just finished up installing a powered sub into my stock  2012 accord lx. Everything went well...but when I turn it on it doesnt bump. After playing with the radio controls I can get it to slam when I balance all audio to one side. Either right or left. I used high level inputs and the stock deck. Any ideas?

check if subwoofer is dual voice coil. if it is. check that its not wired out of polarity on one side.

if thats not it. check if the amplifier is bridged. its possible it might be bridged wrong. pay very close attention to the manual when bridging. and check that its wired exactly as it should be.

otherwise check that the high level inputs are not wired wrong or out of polarity on one side or the other. doubly triply check that everything is in the correct polarity.

if none of those are the problem thats really strange. check all other possibilities you might think is the source of the problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
Multiple inexperienced people have told my that rca crossovers would take care of my issue. The polarity is probably my issue. No labels on wires so it wasnt easy figuring out positive and negative.

If he only tapped the left or right side mono would it not be quiet until he faded all the way over?
yeah, i just re-read the entire thread and i missed that its a powered sub, likely an all in one box. the OP needs to post up some pics of the wiring at the LOC to rectify this issue. everything we are saying is a shot in the dark based on the information provided. we can talk about the best flavor of Monster until he chimes back in tho i guess

If the OP wired one set of speaker connections to the loc backwards then that would account for the issue. It normally takes a pair of speaker channels to run into a loc...if channel A is wired correctly + to + and - to - and channel B out of phase + to - and - to + then the signals going into the loc will cancel each other out. That’s why balancing to either side ‘fixes’ the issue, because in phase or not neither channel is affected (by the other) when balanced to either side.

If it were a phase issue at the subwoofers then it could only happen if the OP is running the subs in stereo...running the subs mono would not be affected by the balance of the input signal. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I apologize for my delay in response. I solved the issue. I was able to find wire diagrams of my car and was able to pinpoint where I had reverse polarity on one side of the car. Undid them. Reworked them the correct way...and boom boom boom

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.