That guy - Need wiring help

Participant count
  • Participant list

Eyezheavy

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hey all! Thanks for having me at the forum. This is my first post so don't roast me too hard if I broke a rule/guideline. I need wiring help for my first ever install. I really want to tackle this on my own, but I need the "how to" in thick crayon. I'm an aircraft mechanic by trade and I have basic wiring/electrical knowledge. I list all my equip  below:

- 2018 Ram 2500 Crew Cab w/ 6 speaker 8.4" screen (using factory head unit)(no stock amp)

- Kicker CSS65 component speakers (front)

- Kicker CSS65 coaxial (rear)

- JBL GTR-104 4 channel amp (powering door speakers)

- ZAPCO ST-1KDM Class D mono (powering subs)

- AudioControl LC7i 6 channel line output converter

- 2 each JL 10TW3-D4 in an under rear seat ported box

- 40 ft of 9 wire

- 1 each RCA "Y" cord

- 1 each RCA interconnect (single connector)

- Amp wiring kit

Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to make sure I was thorough. So, can a brother help me out!? 

Items you'll need:

Tools - specifically electrical tools for working with wiring and associated connectors.  Soldering is preferred over crimp connectors, but both can work if done right.  I have some electrical connection how-to in my YouTube channel.  A decent set of crimpers is necessary.

Wiring Methods - the way you make connections is vital to the success of the installation.  My build logs may give you some ideas.

www.bcae1.com is a good resource for each component and details.

Vehicle Disassembly - you will want to find instructions on vehicle disassembly for installing speakers and running wiring.  You'll need to snag the signal from the factory radio and getting behind the radio is a good way to do that. 

Fabrication - you will want to mount the amps to something non-conductive (i.e. carpeted wood) so you don't bond the amp chassis to the vehicle chassis.  Only the amp ground terminal should be bonded to the chassis.

Diagrams - the instructions on each of the components will have wiring diagrams.  it may help you to draw a diagram of everything you need to connect a head of time.  It appears you plan on using the factory speaker wire, which is doable.

Thanks for the reply and info! I have all the tools and assembly equipment. I'll check out the site you listed and your channel. 

Yep, I'd like to tap into the factory wiring and head unit harness. That's what i'm going to use the 9 wire for and I definitely need to draw out the wiring. That's the only way I can move forward. I'm a visual guy. I need to see it. 

I appreciate the help!

Thanks for the reply and info! I have all the tools and assembly equipment. I'll check out the site you listed and your channel. 

Yep, I'd like to tap into the factory wiring and head unit harness. That's what i'm going to use the 9 wire for and I definitely need to draw out the wiring. That's the only way I can move forward. I'm a visual guy. I need to see it. 

I appreciate the help!
You will also need to get the factory wiring diagram for your vehicle.  The wire colors in the 9 Wire won't match the stock wiring (and the stock wire colors won't make any sense).  The wiring diagram you get will be year/make/model/trim specific.  Always double check the colors and positions you have with the diagrams you use.  For a truck that new, you won't find the diagrams online for free.  You'll need to pay for access to a service manual website (usually a day is $10 or so).  With that access, you can download all of the necessary instructions and diagrams during your 24hr access.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good tip. I'll look for the diagram. I have a basic one that shows pin number and color of most of the h/u plug wires. I'll spring for the comprehensive one. 

Question: Do I do a 9 wire spliced in  from the h/u plug and then to the LC7i? How do I connect to the 4 channel amp, the sub amp, and back to the h/u. Additionally, can I power both amps off of one main power wire? I don't need a remote where because of the LC7i's "GTO" feature, correct? 

Lastly, do you think I should mount the amps znd LC7i on the back cab wall? I wont have space on or behind the box. 

I'm just talking through this... it helps to picture it. 

I really appreciate your help and knowledge! I'm intimidated by the install, but I really want to do it for myself / by myself to learn. I can tear an engine down and build it back up. I can do suspension work etc, but this is some serious wiring. I'm excited, but I don't want to blow up my truck or equipment. Lol

You will have two runs of 9-Wire from the HU to the amp/LOC.   The factory harness will be cut for every speaker wire.  Now you will have a 16 connections to make there (each side of the 8 speaker wires).

Head Unit ---9-Wire to LOC --> LOC  ---RCA --> Amps ---9-Wire to HU --> Speakers

You are able to power both amps with one power wire as long as it's sized correctly.

The LOC will generate a turn-on signal.  If the factory head unit has the ability to provide a turn-on signal, you may want to use it.

Certainly mount the amps and LOC together and the back wall of the cab is great, but mount the amps to a carpeted board and not to metal directly. 

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

Eyezheavy

CarAudio.com Newbie
Eyezheavy
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from
keep_hope_alive