Subwoofer direction question.

Participant count
  • Participants list

ThxOne
Premium Member

The Boss
  I am not going to have a lower back seat as there will be an amp/battery/dsp rack in its place. Since I will have no lower back seat the thought occurred to me that I have no need for the rear seat, back rest either. You know, the two parts that fold down to access the trunk. My question is... Would it be better for sound quality to wall off that opening with the sub enclosure and fire the sub and port directly into the cab as opposed to keeping the seat backs installed and having the sub firing to the rear of the sealed off trunk?

I am not going to have a lower back seat as there will be an amp/battery/dsp rack in its place. Since I will have no lower back seat the thought occurred to me that I have no need for the rear seat, back rest either. You know, the two parts that fold down to access the trunk. My question is... Would it be better for sound quality to wall off that opening with the sub enclosure and fire the sub and port directly into the cab as opposed to keeping the seat backs installed and having the sub firing to the rear of the sealed off trunk?
if youre not going to have the rear seat lower, might as well ditch the upper. Youll not have to push the subs as hard to get the same dband wont be muffled at all by the seatback foam. completely seal at the bulkhead and port into the cabin, itll work the exact same as a blowthru in a regular cab p/u. so you dont need to have the subs in the cabin at all and will have a god result as you wont have any of that GODDAMN BACK DASH RATTLE... :: clears throat :: sorry, i have a jiggle back thurr thats just driving me insane and its too cold for me to go do anything about it

if youre not going to have the rear seat lower, might as well ditch the upper. Youll not have to push the subs as hard to get the same dband wont be muffled at all by the seatback foam. completely seal at the bulkhead and port into the cabin, itll work the exact same as a blowthru in a regular cab p/u. so you dont need to have the subs in the cabin at all and will have a god result as you wont have any of that GODDAMN BACK DASH RATTLE... :: clears throat :: sorry, i have a jiggle back thurr thats just driving me insane and its too cold for me to go do anything about it
That was one of my concerns... the muffling of sound by the back seat itself. That is one of the reasons I didn't want any speakers mounted to the back dash, so the holes could let soundwaves pass through the back dash. If it is going to work better and sound better by firing directly into the cab then that is what will be done... Now to locate some black leather that matches my front seats so I can make everything blend together.

A very basic idea of what I am doing... amps and stuff below... sub firing in.

Back-stuff.jpg

I think got this pic from of the builds of @keep_hope_alive

You could build a frame like that and seal around it, then do a slip in box design with an oversized baffle that is cut to fit over the frame and cover it like a beauty panel, then use lag bolts inside of the box that go into the frame to secure the box. That would allow you opportunity to remove the box in the future. 

accordtrunk_IBwall_fg005-1.jpg

THATpurpleKUSH said:
I think got this pic from of the builds of @keep_hope_alive

You could build a frame like that and seal around it, then do a slip in box design with an oversized baffle that is cut to fit over the frame and cover it like a beauty panel, then use lag bolts inside of the box that go into the frame to secure the box. That would allow you opportunity to remove the box in the future. 

View attachment 4008
he did it right and with a certain amount of, shall we say, overkill LoL!! keep-hope-alive doesnt mess around in the slightest

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.