Subsonic filter on speaker leads?

Participant count
  • Participants list

deeciple

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hi Folks,

I have a 2017 Nissan Altima with the stock sound system (not the Bose 9 speaker).  I am happy with the sound except that it is missing something in the bottom end so I added Bazooka BTA8100, 100 watt, 8" active bass tube.  This gives me what I want except that I notice that there is a lot of very low rumble (even when no music is playing) and the very low notes seem more pronounced than the upper bass notes.  I have done a bit of EQ'ing to smooth out the bass notes but I think I need a subsonic filter to eliminate the rumble.

I found these FMOD units that I think will do the trick:

https://www.amazon.com/FMOD-Crossover-Pair-High-Pass/dp/B0006N41CO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1548282591&sr=8-2&keywords=fmod+high+pass

Although I am tapping the rear speaker leads to the high level inputs on the Bazooka and they are line level only.  Is there a speaker level equivalent?  I suppose if not I could go with a LOC and use the RCA inputs on the sub. 

Would this combination eliminate the rumble I am getting?  Also, these come in different frequencies.  What would the best frequency be, given the characteristics of the bass tube I am using? 

Thanks in advance for any help.

Kind regards,

Ken

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Folks,

I have a 2017 Nissan Altima with the stock sound system (not the Bose 9 speaker).  I am happy with the sound except that it is missing something in the bottom end so I added Bazooka BTA8100, 100 watt, 8" active bass tube.  This gives me what I want except that I notice that there is a lot of very low rumble (even when no music is playing) and the very low notes seem more pronounced than the upper bass notes.  I have done a bit of EQ'ing to smooth out the bass notes but I think I need a subsonic filter to eliminate the rumble.

I found these FMOD units that I think will do the trick:

https://www.amazon.com/FMOD-Crossover-Pair-High-Pass/dp/B0006N41CO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1548282591&sr=8-2&keywords=fmod+high+pass

Although I am tapping the rear speaker leads to the high level inputs on the Bazooka and they are line level only.  Is there a speaker level equivalent?  I suppose if not I could go with a LOC and use the RCA inputs on the sub. 

Would this combination eliminate the rumble I am getting?  Also, these come in different frequencies.  What would the best frequency be, given the characteristics of the bass tube I am using? 

Thanks in advance for any help.

Kind regards,

Ken
the rumble is probably noise being introduced from the line level converter. Get a LOC and it should remedy your issue

https://store.soundsolutionsaudio.com/products/nvx-xfloc2-80w-2-channel-line-output-converter.html

@denim would also approve of this

Thanks for your reply and the link.  You mean the built in line level converter on the Bazooka?
yes, they arent exactly known for their quality and the buzz might be an internal ground loop.

an issue youre going to be hard pressed in resolving is the LPF that is is applied to the speakers youre tapping off from to get signal in the first place without a bass rebuilding processor like an epicenter. I am a sucker for anything with a knob on it tho. I saw my first epicenter in a 1990 legend coupe that the guy had it hidden in the cigarette lighter spot. it was 100% stealth and frickin sweet! The lighter handle was the knob

Ya, not much I can do about a preset crossover point.  The stock speakers provide surprisingly good bass though; very clear, punchy and deeper than I had expected. The sub picks up right around where the stock speakers drop off.  Turns out the BTA-8100 also has a built in subsonic filter that starts to roll off at 35 Hz.  Doesn't seem to be doing such a good job though ;)

Deeciple,

I have a 2018 Nissan Altima with very similar specs, I'm trying to tap into the rear speakers to attach a line output convertor PAC LP3-2 and currently the signal I'm getting to the amplifier is very weak and I may have some cross canceling going on, when I change the fade from left to right, the bass volume increases vs. when it is balanced or when I unplug one of the RCA cables. Where did you tap into for your RCA input? Any help is appreciated!

Sounds like you have a phase cancellation issue.  Make sure the polarity on your leads correct.  If the polarity on one of the leads is reversed the sound from one channel will cancel out the other when they are combined.  That's why it sounds stronger when only listening to one channel or the other but weaker when listening to both.  Check the "Phase cancellation" section in this FAQ to see what I mean:

https://www.bazooka.com/faqs

Hope this helps.

Dee

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

deeciple

CarAudio.com Newbie
deeciple
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from
deeciple