Amp in power protect

Participant count
  • Participant list

2RZ-FE
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Both my amps share the same power and ground blocks. I know I should have disconnected the main fuse but didn’t. Took the sub amp out and when I went to reconnect it I put the ground wire from the sub amp into the power block rather than the ground one. Now my Pioneer 8604 has its power protect light on. I get a turn on pop and a whine noise through my speakers at 0 volum and I can still get music to play when I turn up the volume but still has the whine. Is my amp done for or just disconnect it for awhile and should go back to normal? Can the speakers be damaged to make the amp go into power protect?

Both my amps share the same power and ground blocks. I know I should have disconnected the main fuse but didn’t. Took the sub amp out and when I went to reconnect it I put the ground wire from the sub amp into the power block rather than the ground one. Now my Pioneer 8604 has its power protect light on. I get a turn on pop and a whine noise through my speakers at 0 volum and I can still get music to play when I turn up the volume but still has the whine. Is my amp done for or just disconnect it for awhile and should go back to normal? Can the speakers be damaged to make the amp go into power protect?
what happens when you hook it up with no speakers connected to it?

At work will see what it does tonight. I have a RF P300x2 for another ride NIB but will use it if I can’t get this going. Ordered some black wire so my Positive and negative are different colors

The Pioneer 8604 amp is ok. Connected my GTR-1001 sub amp and its power and protect lights would turn on back and forth and the sub would pop on and off loudly even at volume 0. Swapped in my old deck and everything is fine. Probably blew something on the RCA side to my JVC KD-X360BTS. 

Last edited by a moderator:
The Pioneer 8604 amp is ok. Connected my GTR-1001 sub amp and its power and protect lights would turn on back and forth and the sub would pop on and off loudly even at volume 0. Swapped in my old deck and everything is fine. Probably blew something on the RCA side to my JVC KD-X360BTS. 
uhm, thats no dead lock. disconnect everything from the original amp, then give it +12v and gnd, then jump a small wire over from +12v to the remote turn on and see what it does with nothing else connected

So disconnect everything from the 8604 and run the GTR-1001 by itself?

I am using a relay to turn both amps on. So just bypass the remote from the deck and run a wire from like my power block directly to the 1001 remote turn on?

Last edited by a moderator:
So disconnect everything from the 8604 and run the GTR-1001 by itself?

I am using a relay to turn both amps on. So just bypass the remote from the deck and run a wire from like my power block directly to the 1001 remote turn on?
no, i mean with no rcas or speakers attached to it. why are you using a relay? you can daisy chain about eleventeen amps off the relay from the deck as all it needs is just a tickle of 12v to turn the amp on

JVC 360bts remote wire is 350mA. I think my older Kenwood is 500mA. Can’t find specs for the amps on how much voltage they take to turn them on. 

GTR-1001went into protect whether I used the remote wire on the deck or bypassed it. I tried all the rca jacks on the back of the deck and the same thing. In a little bit I will try with no rca's connected. 

Got a solid power light with no deck connected just the amp powered up and its remote input connected to my power block. I also got a solid power light connecting the deck using the deck remote wire through my relay. Used no rca's both times. So something is wrong with the rca jacks on the deck since my old deck works normal. 

Got a solid power light with no deck connected just the amp powered up and its remote input connected to my power block. I also got a solid power light connecting the deck using the deck remote wire through my relay. Used no rca's both times. So something is wrong with the rca jacks on the deck since my old deck works normal. 
thats super weird, but yes that was why i was asking to see if it powered up with nothing connected. ive never heard of a decks rcas frying like that. Also, ive never seen an amp be very picky about how many amperes it needs to turn on. all good bro, just curious about the overkill with the relay is all :)

Seems like a fair amount of over caution going on here. Relays for 2 amps remote turn on. unhooking power and grounds to take out box?  Kinda sounds like caution caused a problem unless You were doing something else you didn't mention or i overlooked that would warrant unhooking amps? Just saying could've avoided the problem by not unhooking amplifiers. At least ya found what was causing the issue and didn't f up the amp too.

You could just wrap some black tape around the ground wires too. 

Seems like a fair amount of over caution going on here. Relays for 2 amps remote turn on. unhooking power and grounds to take out box?  Kinda sounds like caution caused a problem unless You were doing something else you didn't mention or i overlooked that would warrant unhooking amps? Just saying could've avoided the problem by not unhooking amplifiers. At least ya found what was causing the issue and didn't f up the amp too.

You could just wrap some black tape around the ground wires too. 
i got sky high shrink wrap just for the look of it ;)  also wanted to unhook everything but the power, ground and remote to see if it was the speakers making it go into protect, then one by one hook stuff back up to recreate the problem. basic troubleshooting ftw

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.