Speakers intermittently stop working

Participant count
  • Participants list

King Mustard

Car Audio Beginner
I've had two double-DIN Android-based head units (different manufacturers) inside my Peugeot 308 (2012) and both intermittently dropped any sound to my speakers, leading me to believe it's possibly the wiring loom from the car itself that goes into the head units.

However, moving the loom around does not bring the sound back. It will just come back on its own after a few days.

The sound to my subwoofer (seperate cable, a phono cable from the subwoofer) continues just fine.

Any ideas?

The Android based head units have very questionable build quality (I have one in my basement).  It certainly could be connections - did you solder and heat shrink any connections you've made?  What connections did you make?  Is it temperature dependent?  Is the rest of the vehicle stock?

The Android based head units have very questionable build quality (I have one in my basement).  It certainly could be connections - did you solder and heat shrink any connections you've made?  What connections did you make?  Is it temperature dependent?  Is the rest of the vehicle stock?
No soldering or heat shrinking was needed, everything just plugged in.

I am guessing the chunky cable that seems to be going behind the steering wheel assembly came with the car when I bought it from the previous owner. When I bought this new head unit, I needed to buy a Peugeot/Citroen ISO Harness Adaptor (I got the Connects2 CT20PE02) to be able to connect the head unit to the "chunky cable". The previous head unit came with its own adaptor as it was designed for the Peugeot 308.

I know that there are three cables coming from the subwoofer:

1. One goes straight onto the car battery.
  2. Another is an RCA-to-RCA cable that goes to the 'subwoofer' RCA port on the head unit.
  3. The final goes to the 'auto ant' on the head unit, to turn the subwoofer on when the head unit is powered up.
Whoever owned the car before me installed the Focal 2-Way IFP 207 speaker system.

I bought a Pioneer MVH-A200VBT (£130) today and installed it.

Driving to some shops (20 minutes away), everything was fine.

After shopping, I turned the engine on and had the same familiar fault - could only hear the subwoofer.

After a few seconds, the head unit started to flash: AMP Error.

So it wasn't an issue with the Chinese Android-based head units after all :(

Does this help you, perhaps, narrow down what the issue could be and how I could go about fixing it?

That means you likely have a short circuit or impedance issue somewhere in the wiring.  If it routes to a factory amp, then the input may be unbalanced meaning the negative wires are grounded or tied together. 

Or the wiring is common ground.  With a DMM, measure between the negative speaker wires to each other and also to ground.  If you have low resistance for either, then the wiring isn't compatible with newer aftermarket head units.  The correction is simply running new, dedicated speaker wiring from the head unit to the speakers.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.