CLIPPING indicator

Participant count
  • Participants list
if you're handy with circuits and soldering you could connect an LED to a high pass filter that was powered from the amp output.  Clipping creates high frequency harmonics that are above 1kHz even with an 80Hz LPF on the amp. 

if you're handy with circuits and soldering you could connect an LED to a high pass filter that was powered from the amp output.  Clipping creates high frequency harmonics that are above 1kHz even with an 80Hz LPF on the amp. 
All you would need is a 12v led? Ive done the clipping test with a tweeter before but never with an LED. I figured an led would stay lit the whole time the amp is feeding power or pulsating to the sinewave

All you would need is a 12v led? Ive done the clipping test with a tweeter before but never with an LED. I figured an led would stay lit the whole time the amp is feeding power or pulsating to the sinewave
note the high pass filter requirement.  a 1kHz HPF or 5kHz HPF would cause the LED to illuminate only when clipping was present.

Video on clipping harmonics and what that looks like:

Circuit for powering an LED directly from an amplifier output (in which case it would pulse like you describe:

AmpPoweredLEDV1.jpg

9 hours ago, keep_hope_alive said:

note the high pass filter requirement.  a 1kHz HPF or 5kHz HPF would cause the LED to illuminate only when clipping was present.

Video on clipping harmonics and what that looks like:

Cool deal, ive been using the tweeter and low pass method for a good while with great results. I'm honestly prolly leaving power on the table with how conservative I am. 

I'll prolly buy the new audio control rta when it releases and double check everything but it's been set up for over a year so it close enough for now

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.