extreme cold temps

i always take it easy for about 10 min. till things warm up....i cant even hear my midbass or sub until they warm up and loosen a bit (sounds like **** almost straight treble). Drives me nuts on short drives when i crank it and just doesnt perform like it does when up to temp. always makes me want to start retuning, ripping things apart and start checking for problems but i know its just the temp change....all comes back to normal when things warm up....but just for a safety stand point with my expensive equipment i take it easy...dont wanna tear/rip surrounds or spiders (prolly unlikely) but better safe than sorry

Last edited by a moderator:
If you have a trunk car I wouldn't go full tilt in the winter time. Trunks don't have heat vents so your equipment will never warm up to the cabin temps.

I like to swap my nice summer time suns and amp to cheap stuff for the winter. 

I always let my stuff warm up too. Usually doesn't take too long 20 25 minutes. Today was a different after sitting all weekend in temps well below freezing it took almost an hour b 4 it got nice and toasty in the truck. 

If you have a trunk car I wouldn't go full tilt in the winter time. Trunks don't have heat vents so your equipment will never warm up to the cabin temps.

I like to swap my nice summer time suns and amp to cheap stuff for the winter. 
i saw an argument on the myfacespacebooks yesterday where a known installer was arguing with some dude about this. The installer was saying "yeah, go full tilt on them at ice cold temps, its just fine" and the other guy was advising on caution and mentioned cold stuff becoming rigid. The installer got into a semantics argument saying brittle. It was hilarious!!!

Yea I wouldn't do it. 
ok, neither would/will I. My thoughts are that the soft parts become rigid so much so they can become brittle due to water crystals embedding themselves into the textiles in the spider, surround etc etc, glue, cone itself, coils, etc etc that if you bang on them when theyve been sitting in your car in the parking lot at -20 straight temp with -33 windchill to just start banging the **** out of them without warming them up in the absolute slightest is moronic

Last edited by a moderator:
fwiw, i asked JL.. "we test all of our speakers and subwoofers in extreme cold and heat. They should be fine down to 30 degrees and below"

I live in the south. I usually crank my car and crank my stereo at the same time. Doesn't really get below zero here. Never had an issue going full tits in the cold.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.