Audiobahn aw 1005 - who knows about it?

BIGGYGO

CarAudio.com Newbie
I've searched and found zero info - both here and online.

I have two of these that I bought used from a friend many moons ago. I ran them in my old GTi but I took them out late in 2006. I'm looking to put them back in one of my cars (undecided as to which vehicle) and I've been really curious about what sort of ratings and reviews they may have gotten when they were new.

Thanks in advance for any info you can provide!

I've searched and found zero info - both here and online.

I have two of these that I bought used from a friend many moons ago. I ran them in my old GTi but I took them out late in 2006. I'm looking to put them back in one of my cars (undecided as to which vehicle) and I've been really curious about what sort of ratings and reviews they may have gotten when they were new.

Thanks in advance for any info you can provide!
do you mean this?

https://www.amazon.com/Audiobahn-1005-Ultra-Excursion-Subwoofer/dp/B00UBY1S74

81DjPe9WBuL._SL1500_.jpg

That looks nothing like mine (no chrome at all) - but the huge magnet sounds about right! LOL

The 900 Watt RMS is accurate (according to the back of the speaker).

I'm telling you guys, I have some OLD equipment (Alpine CDA 7864, Punch 40.2, Sony XM4520 mosfet, etc.)

Any of the "old guard" or youngsters that are into "vintage equipment," please feel free to weigh in on your opinions.

That looks nothing like mine (no chrome at all) - but the huge magnet sounds about right! LOL

I'm telling you guys, I have some OLD equipment (Alpine CDA 7864, Punch 40.2, Sony XM4520 mosfet, etc.)

Any of the "old guard" or youngsters that are into "vintage equipment," please feel free to weigh in on your opinions.
Dont hold your breath

BIGGYGO said:

Sounds like you have the original AW1005's.  These subs were sold in the late 90's to early '00's.  The link the fellow provided above is essentially the same sub.  Audiobahn went through 3 or 4 revisions over the years, adding more chrome and bling with each revision.  The later revisions are noted by a letter suffix to the model number (i.e AW1005q, AW1005J, AW1005N.)  There were some slight changes to the sub specs (T/S parameters) between early and later models, but I don't think it dramatically affected SPL or SQ properties.

There were three main Audiobahn subwoofer families (others exist too, but these were most popular), the AWxx00, ALUMxx, and AWxx05 (where xx is the subwoofer size).  The 00 was sort of a general purpose mid-level sub, the Alum was an aluminum cone supposed "SQ" subwoofer, and the 05 was the SPL high-excursion sub.  The 1205's had 3" voice coils, I think the 1005 were 3" too if memory serves.

The consensus among folks who knew anything about car audio was that Audiobahn was nothing but chromed out garbage, but I think a few people just liked to bag on them because Audiobahn stuff was inexpensive and flashy (chrome, fat surrounds, etc) and then a whole bunch of other folks just parrot the same opinion over and over again without ever having hands on experience with the stuff.  I owned a couple of the early Alum12's then later a pair of AW1200's along with a few of their amps over the years.  I have nothing but good things to say about the brand, for the price they served me well, played reliably and sounded decent.  I was never into the chrome and don't really care what my gear looks like; I bought them because they were a good value and was a repeat buyer because of my past experience with them. The Alum12 was an especially good sounding sub, I still have one that I use for home theater that's close to 20 years old.

That said, for every one good review of these, there seem to be 15 others that trash the brand, so feel free to take my feedback with a grain of salt.  I've owned a lot of different amps and subs over the years-- aside from power ratings often being wildly overrated, I just don't see what all the Audiobahn fuss was about.  Most other manufacturers were just as guilty of exaggerating power ratings back in the day.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks a lot!

Great info. This is the sort of answer I hoped or imagined I might possibly get.

Thanks! This might help me with finding designs for a box.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.