Protection mode flickering but amp doesnt always shut down

Participant count
  • Participant list

Robert24z2

CarAudio.com Newbie
Ok I will start with what I have. I have 2 Orion HCCA 124's bridged to 2 ohm. Kicker cx1200.1 mono amp. All 4 gauge power and ground. Stinger 2-farad cap and 150 amp breaker. Gain on amp is a little under half way up. I have my LOC tapped to my factory subwoofer line and since there is only one sub, I tapped the 2 positive inputs on the LOC to the one positive line going to the sub and same for negative. (not sure if anyone has done that)  

Here is what's going on...First, my breaker keeps tripping at loud volume and as I looked deeper into it I notice that the protection mode light on the amp flickers when the bass hits. The amp will continue to play while the light flickers until turned up loud the amp protection mode kicks in a shuts down for a few seconds then comes back on fine.

so far I have tried bypassing the capacitor and the breaker with no luck. I have verified solid, correct wiring on the subs. Any advice would be great!! 

When it is playing loud, have a volt meter on the positive and grounds at the amp. I bet they are dropping to 11v or lower.  If they are check that your ground cable is in a good spot.

I had a cxa1200.1 actually I had 2 of them at one point.  First one that I owned did not like going below 11v for obvious reasons but I had only a front Lead acid battery. Soon I up'd that to an AGM group 27 or whatever could fit my car. That helped a bit but once I put a group 31 agm in the trunk I never saw the protect light again.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.