Digging jbl sub tuned to 42 hz

fithwheel

indiana
So I had some wood and plenty of dowel left over from a previous build and a jbl s3. I didn't put a lot of effort into trying to be neat with it since i wasn't sure I'd like it plus scrap wood. kinda thought it might be a throw away but I've been contemplating trying a higher tuned box and why not considering 99 % of the music I listen to doesn't go below 40hz.

Pleasantly surprised by just how much I like it. Currently have it on my k1000 at 4 ohms. 1.49 after displacements. I've had this sub in a couple of different boxes from 30 to 33 Hz tune but i must say for what I listen to this is my favorite box for this sub..

20190108_134804.jpg

20190108_134822.jpg

20190108_112830.jpg

20190103_180507.jpg

20190103_180524.jpg

Amazing how much the SPL and punchiness is really what you're after with most normal speed music is it not?

This beast I got installed currently has decent daily Sq and extension for me and absolutely pounds when called upon.

I'm glad you're as happy with the results as I am.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah it brought everything up a notch or two. Put it where, I've found out ,I actually like it. I don't feel like it hurt the sq much compared to the lower tuned boxes. You could pick at it I suppose but it sounds great to me plus it's a lot more entertaining than the other boxes for what I listen to  (rock metal some old school rap occasionally) I've got another 1 of these subs thinking of using them in the work truck and letting the old lady rock a low tuned box. That's more her speed anyway

Just never really know what you'll like till ya try it. I had my doubts lol.. I see so many comments saying I would never tune over 3@ fill in the blank hz. Seen where you tried it a while back and thought I'd give it a try some time. Jbl looked like a good candidate out of the subs I have. Sure makes it easier to fit the port lol. So yeah thanks for the inspiration definitely love how it turned out 

Amazing how much the SPL and punchiness is really what you're after with most normal speed music is it not?
Yep.  This is why I always question newbies who think they need to tune into the low 30s. 

Also, good looking box, OP.  I've never had good results with multiple round ports myself but for what that sub is I don't suppose you're chasing 10ths on the meter.

That statement above I quoted is putting it mildly... yes...  :iagree:
Lol definitely. Can't think of a better way to describe it other then it was like adding another sub. Modelling in bass box pro it added another 3 to 4 db peak over the lower tuned boxes peak.Most importantly where it matters most for my music and taste. 

Yep.  This is why I always question newbies who think they need to tune into the low 30s. 

Also, good looking box, OP.  I've never had good results with multiple round ports myself but for what that sub is I don't suppose you're chasing 10ths on the meter.
Lol yeah low powered more of an sq sub not gotten into the whole spl side of it plus i was leaving myself an out in case i didn't like it i could plug a port and drop it down to around 30 not ideal port area for it with 1 plugged but I've built a total fail box b 4. Not getting any use out of one *****. 

But hey I'm learning anyhow so f ups are to be expected but still the thought of throwing one away without using it...

Nice box. I'm at 40 hz and love it. I used to have dual 3" ports but switched to a single 3". I gained more air velocity and couldn't be happier. 

Nice box. I'm at 40 hz and love it. I used to have dual 3" ports but switched to a single 3". I gained more air velocity and couldn't be happier. 
Thanks for the compliment. If I was to do it over (which I probably will at some point) I would use a single 4. It does pretty good for what it is. I think it's a nice sounding sub. I like the higher tune better for what I listen to. 

What combination are you using?

Yeah it brought everything up a notch or two. Put it where, I've found out ,I actually like it. I don't feel like it hurt the sq much compared to the lower tuned boxes. You could pick at it I suppose but it sounds great to me plus it's a lot more entertaining than the other boxes for what I listen to  (rock metal some old school rap occasionally) I've got another 1 of these subs thinking of using them in the work truck and letting the old lady rock a low tuned box. That's more her speed anyway

Just never really know what you'll like till ya try it. I had my doubts lol.. I see so many comments saying I would never tune over 3@ fill in the blank hz. Seen where you tried it a while back and thought I'd give it a try some time. Jbl looked like a good candidate out of the subs I have. Sure makes it easier to fit the port lol. So yeah thanks for the inspiration definitely love how it turned out 
I always recommend tuning your enclosure based on how your basslines look on audacity. Makes absolutely dogsh*t sense to tune 30hz for "SQ" and peak low when all your music is in the 40 to 60hz range.

I always recommend tuning your enclosure based on how your basslines look on audacity. Makes absolutely dogsh*t sense to tune 30hz for "SQ" and peak low when all your music is in the 40 to 60hz range.
Seems to go against popular belief but makes complete sense. I won't be tuning anything that low for myself in the future.

Thanks for the compliment. If I was to do it over (which I probably will at some point) I would use a single 4. It does pretty good for what it is. I think it's a nice sounding sub. I like the higher tune better for what I listen to. 

What combination are you using?
Pioneer TS-W3003D4 12", 1.5cf net with a 3" x 6" exterior port firing towards the back. Previous was two 3" x 15.5" long each side firing @ 36 hz. That box was 1.67 net. 

I tried a single 4" x 14.5" for a 36hz tuning. That was good too but side fired. I listed to metal 99% of the time.

I wanted a JBL Stadium 1224 12" but it was twice the cost at the time. 

How does that 2 or 4 ohm selector even work? Seems like they are the only ones using it why don't other companies do it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Agree with pretty much everything already said. I think its such a waste when people tune so low. 28-35 hz makes no sense to me. 38-42 is what I tend to like most.

Pioneer TS-W3003D4 12", 1.5cf net with a 3" x 6" exterior port firing towards the back. Previous was two 3" x 15.5" long each side firing @ 36 hz. That box was 1.67 net. 

I tried a single 4" x 14.5" for a 36hz tuning. That was good too but side fired. I listed to metal 99% of the time.

I wanted a JBL Stadium 1224 12" but it was twice the cost at the time. 

How does that 2 or 4 ohm selector even work? Seems like they are the only ones using it why don't other companies do it?
Infinity and jbl but they're the same co. Idk maybe they a patent on it. It has it's advantages and disadvantages but for what it is i think it's fine. Probably not too many people trying to get to a 1ohm load with one of these subs lol. It's just a switch couldn't be any more simple.

That pioneer is a 600 watt sub right? What amp are you using?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.