Help! Sub not acting right. Is it blown?

Participant count
  • Participants list

Sundownaudio01

CarAudio.com Newbie
Okay so I’ve had this Sundown Audio SA-10 v2 in my car for about 1-2 years. It’s been running at 1000 watts rms which is 250 over spec however everything I read up on said these subs could take way more than that. Anyways here in the past few days the sub had been cutting out making very little autible noise in the cab of my car. However it’s still moving and I’ve attached a video of what sound it makes. Thought Maybe tinsel slap or something of the sort? Don’t think it’s overpower and topping out because I’ve ran it exactly like this since I’ve had it. Could it be blown? I’m going to test impedance tomorrow and will update just looking for a quick response If anyone knows what this is.  

View attachment 4D4E29B8-1524-44E0-A390-13CCCD33BA21.MOV

Also will add that it plays fine for first 5 to 10 minutes of listening before this happens and only does it at high volume. Once at medium to low volume it plays with no distortion 

Sounds like a coil issue to me..though I could be wrong. Might check for air leaks in the enclosure as well.I ve had a sub make that kind of noise due to a seam /glue joint come loose and would expand when I had it cranked up a little. But.. with more than rated power over the years, its possible that the sub has reached its lifespan too/ its limitations over time. Wouldnt hurt to check the ohm load on the sub. If it seems to not be within limitations, Id pull it, check both sides and look the sub over after pulling it.May be time to start looking for a replacement. Just my thoughts. Others may consider something other than this.

Checked ohm load this morning. Haven’t pulled amp just checked the leads coming from sub and it measured right out at 1ohm. 

also, if the sub aint actin right, take its ps4 away for a month, that should straighten it up pretty quick (couldnt resist)
Took
it’s ps4 away but it’s still throwing a fit. Seriously though just got out of box. Was a little dusty in the box but not bad. Pushed cone down and there was no rubbing. Tensel leads, spider, terminals and coil from what I can see are all good. Not really sure why it’s doing this. Don’t think it’s the amp because of the way it almost seems to seize up and quit looking. Added some photos if those might help. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

Took
it’s ps4 away but it’s still throwing a fit. Seriously though just got out of box. Was a little dusty in the box but not bad. Pushed cone down and there was no rubbing. Tensel leads, spider, terminals and coil from what I can see are all good. Not really sure why it’s doing this. Don’t think it’s the amp because of the way it almost seems to seize up and quit looking. Added some photos if those might help. 

View attachment 3633

View attachment 3634
hmmmm, it looks fine, but of course we cant see behind the spider, and i guess there could be a bad winding on the former too

hmmmm, it looks fine, but of course we cant see behind the spider, and i guess there could be a bad winding on the former too
I’m thinking that’s what happened. From being overpowered and having it for few years I think the coil finally got too hot and there’s a bubble in it now. Going to just recone it and hope that fixes the problem 

I’m thinking that’s what happened. From being overpowered and having it for few years I think the coil finally got too hot and there’s a bubble in it now. Going to just recone it and hope that fixes the problem 
the drop in kits look very reasonable, last i saw was $40 without frame. Ive never reconed a sub, but it looks doable with all the youtube videos on it and even if you screw it up, its a $40 mistake as long as you dont screw it up too bad a bork the motor

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.