Need advice on speakers/amp

Participant count
  • Participant list

longhornsk57

CarAudio.com Newbie
I have a 2018 Crew Cab F150.  I am putting in two subs and probably two amps behind the back seat and getting new speakers.  6.5 components in the front and 6.5 three-way in the rear.

The subs I have is two Kenwood KFC-XW1200F eXcelon and I have made boxes for them.  I also have an amp.  The speakers and amp are getting me a little confused as to what to get.

I am thinking of going Morel Tempo Ultra 602 components on the front and the 3way in the rear, the amp would need 120x4 at 4ohms.  now I see some Fosgate and alpine amps at $500 that do this and some Massive amps at like $250 that do this power output.  The question is to me is the Massive that much worse quality?  Is A/B much worse or different than class D and do I have to have class D for everything?    I really don't want to buy a $500 amp so am now rethinking the speakers to maybe get like 75x4 so I am not dropping a grand or more on just speakers/amp when I already got the subs and the sub amp.

Basically I am looking for a good explanation and recommendation on the amp to push the Morel and/or a good speaker recommendation that can perform well without breaking the bank.

Thanks! 

I have a 2018 Crew Cab F150.  I am putting in two subs and probably two amps behind the back seat and getting new speakers.  6.5 components in the front and 6.5 three-way in the rear.

The subs I have is two Kenwood KFC-XW1200F eXcelon and I have made boxes for them.  I also have an amp.  The speakers and amp are getting me a little confused as to what to get.

I am thinking of going Morel Tempo Ultra 602 components on the front and the 3way in the rear, the amp would need 120x4 at 4ohms.  now I see some Fosgate and alpine amps at $500 that do this and some Massive amps at like $250 that do this power output.  The question is to me is the Massive that much worse quality?  Is A/B much worse or different than class D and do I have to have class D for everything?    I really don't want to buy a $500 amp so am now rethinking the speakers to maybe get like 75x4 so I am not dropping a grand or more on just speakers/amp when I already got the subs and the sub amp.

Basically I am looking for a good explanation and recommendation on the amp to push the Morel and/or a good speaker recommendation that can perform well without breaking the bank.

Thanks! 
youre asking a question that might have MANY responses, but the fact of the matter is that you can easily get away with this guy for $140. Youre going to perhaps get people to tell you to run active on the fronts and forgo the rears altogether, but i find that to be a preference thing. I like having rear fill personally. The class of the amp is mainly about efficiency nowadays, as the original class d amps were only able to process switching up to 200 hz, that is no longer the case and they can do full range all day now. I still prefer the warmth of the class a/b, but it just might be all in my head. The preference of a/b is akin to guitarists preferring tube amps even tho solid state modeling amps have fooled many trained ears.

youre asking a question that might have MANY responses, but the fact of the matter is that you can easily get away with this guy for $140. Youre going to perhaps get people to tell you to run active on the fronts and forgo the rears altogether, but i find that to be a preference thing. I like having rear fill personally. The class of the amp is mainly about efficiency nowadays, as the original class d amps were only able to process switching up to 200 hz, that is no longer the case and they can do full range all day now. I still prefer the warmth of the class a/b, but it just might be all in my head. The preference of a/b is akin to guitarists preferring tube amps even tho solid state modeling amps have fooled many trained ears.
Wow thanks for the reply.

I know I probably asked a mouthful but my understanding it building more and more and I am really trying to understand all this stuff.  The amp looks like it does 100Wx4 at 4ohms, you don't think since the speakers take 120 that makes any difference as far as the extra 20W are concerned?

Also when you say run active or forgo what are we talking about exactly?  I like you analogy of the A/B being like a tube warmth, that makes perfect sense.

Wow thanks for the reply.

I know I probably asked a mouthful but my understanding it building more and more and I am really trying to understand all this stuff.  The amp looks like it does 100Wx4 at 4ohms, you don't think since the speakers take 120 that makes any difference as far as the extra 20W are concerned?

Also when you say run active or forgo what are we talking about exactly?  I like you analogy of the A/B being like a tube warmth, that makes perfect sense.
your question was perfectly fine, i was just trying to let ya know that some people will go to far extremes when theyre answering, so be prepared :D  

so, active is simply bi-amping the components without the passive crossover. passive crossovers are very parasitic, and setting the frequency rance for each driver before amplifying them is far better both in terms of overall sound and efficiency. You concieveably could get 2 of those pioneers for less than one of the rockfords and bridge both of them for your fronts and rears, tons of power on tap and a bunch in reserve.

if you want to go active, its a great idea for your front stage. its a cleaner sound, more detailed and far more accurate. If you want to run active and maintain the rear speakers, youll just need a DSP and a little tinkering to get it set up, but once youve done that, youll think that the $150 you spent on the DSP was a necessity, not an option

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.