Muffdogg

Budget 4 channel amp

I'm looking for an amp for my son's car now.  I bought him a new deck, 6.5's and tweets for Christmas but I think his old amp might need replaced.  He has an older crossfire 4 channel.  Only 3 channels play and it sounds pretty bad.  It's also been exposed to water because it's rusting. I figure it's probably easier to get him a new amp and run new wires.  Is the Pioneer GM8604 still the go to budget amp?   I just looked and it's $140.  Did they price go up on these, I thought they used to be cheaper than that.  Is this still the best bang for your buck?  Thanks. 

12 hours ago, Muffdogg said:

I'm looking for an amp for my son's car now.  I bought him a new deck, 6.5's and tweets for Christmas but I think his old amp might need replaced.  He has an older crossfire 4 channel.  Only 3 channels play and it sounds pretty bad.  It's also been exposed to water because it's rusting. I figure it's probably easier to get him a new amp and run new wires.  Is the Pioneer GM8604 still the go to budget amp?   I just looked and it's $140.  Did they price go up on these, I thought they used to be cheaper than that.  Is this still the best bang for your buck?  Thanks. 

its still your ringer for that price. They put out the power and from all the reports of people on here have low failure rates. If you wanted to coin up a bit, Zapco is still a great alternative. There is a guy on fb selling a 4 channel for a reasonable price. Chad is his name, hit him up. I bought my Zapco 2 channel from him. Good seller

2002 Honda Accord sedan V6 (automatic slushbox)

2 Rockford p3 12s (dual 2 ohm)

Pioneer AVH-2300NEX

2 PPI PC275's running 1 sub each atm, waiting to put the SQ 2200.1 back in and add the PhoenixGold Elite.4 once my electrical is up to snuff

Front stage:PRV Audio 6MB200 6.5 and Massive Audio CT2 tweeters

Rear speakers: stock

I just added 5 SoundQubed stickers, and despite having no equipment upgrades, it added 76 DB!!!

2016 Focus ST3 - Rockford DSR1 / PPI 900.4 / Silverflute 6.5" mids / Massive CT2 tweeters /Sundown Xv2 15"/ Taramps DSP3k / Stinger Roadkill / KNU wiring / Northstar SMSAGM80 /

2010 Focus coupe 157@46hz

Pioneer 80prs /(8) FU Audio 750 12"s / (4) FSD 2600s / (1) FSD 125.4 / (1) FSD 85.4 / (4) Crescendo UN-10" mids / (4) Crescendo FT1 tweeters / Stinger Roadkill / 2/0 EB flex wire / (5) Powerware 90AH batteries / DC 270XP Alt /

https://www.youtube.com/popwarhomie

too many freq at once, burn the coil, we all know, over 40-50hz, its all coilburning material.

Screenshot_20190107-115924_Facebook.jpg

Pioneer AVH-2300NEX

2 PPI PC275's running 1 sub each atm, waiting to put the SQ 2200.1 back in and add the PhoenixGold Elite.4 once my electrical is up to snuff

I just added 5 SoundQubed stickers, and despite having no equipment upgrades, it added 76 DB!!!

1 hour ago, Popwarhomie said:

its very surprising that a brand like Dual is doing as well as it is, but all i ever hear about them is good stuff

Edited by youdoofus

Pioneer AVH-2300NEX

Just watched bigblanks new video about the Rockville db45.  Sounds like that might be the best budget 4 channel now.  What do you all think? 

I bought two Rockville 4 channels a few years ago to play with and was surprised at the power output of them for $99 each. They got very hot though.

2016 Focus ST3 - Rockford DSR1 / PPI 900.4 / Silverflute 6.5" mids / Massive CT2 tweeters /Sundown Xv2 15"/ Taramps DSP3k / Stinger Roadkill / KNU wiring / Northstar SMSAGM80 /

2010 Focus coupe 157@46hz

Pioneer 80prs /(8) FU Audio 750 12"s / (4) FSD 2600s / (1) FSD 125.4 / (1) FSD 85.4 / (4) Crescendo UN-10" mids / (4) Crescendo FT1 tweeters / Stinger Roadkill / 2/0 EB flex wire / (5) Powerware 90AH batteries / DC 270XP Alt /

https://www.youtube.com/popwarhomie

too many freq at once, burn the coil, we all know, over 40-50hz, its all coilburning material.

1 hour ago, Muffdogg said:

Just watched bigblanks new video about the Rockville db45.  Sounds like that might be the best budget 4 channel now.  What do you all think? 

i just saw it too, thats nuts!!

Pioneer AVH-2300NEX

The Rockville certainly did pretty well, as did the Pioneer, Soundqubed and Dual. I have got a Axxera 40D here that is at crutchfield right now for $65 and its rated 4x100 CEA. 

Head Unit: Pioneer Avic-5201NEX

Amplifiers: Orion XTR1000.4, Alphard DB-2000.1D

Front Speakers: Infinity Perfect 600 Components

Rear Speakers: Image Dynamics ID6.5

Subwoofers: 2 JL Audio 12TW3-D4

6 minutes ago, bigblank69 said:

The Rockville certainly did pretty well, as did the Pioneer, Soundqubed and Dual. I have got a Axxera 40D here that is at crutchfield right now for $65 and its rated 4x100 CEA. 

did all of them have the appropriate amount of black junk between the transformers and the boards? as i recall it was a weak pont on the rockvilles of old

Pioneer AVH-2300NEX

Pioneer has all new amps on the way so might be worth waiting. 

14 minutes ago, 2RZ-FE said:

Pioneer has all new amps on the way so might be worth waiting. 

where did ya hear that from? not doubting you, just curious

Pioneer AVH-2300NEX

46 minutes ago, youdoofus said:

where did ya hear that from? not doubting you, just curious

5 car stereo think they said they'll be 1 ohm stable  in stereo mode. Assume they'll be 2ohm stable bridged idk. Should be more info later this week. Maybe already on their site. China's taking over though hard telling how that's going to affect quality 

Edited by fithwheel

2006 ridgeline hu:KW ddx9903s morel 5.25 maximo comps 6.5 maximo coaxial 2 type r 8s 1.1 37 hz amp Rf t1000x5ab

work truck 2017 international pro star Alpine ute62 hu. Amps RF t1000.5ad 4 ch mode infinity k1000  type s 15 3.5 @ 30hz or type s12 2.4 @ 36 hz  or jbl s3 1.5 42hz. 2 8 " eminence pro woofers. 2" Dayton rs52fn midrange. 1 1/8 Dayton dc28f silk dome tweeters.

2 hours ago, fithwheel said:

5 car stereo think they said they'll be 1 ohm stable  in stereo mode. Assume they'll be 2ohm stable bridged idk. Should be more info later this week. Maybe already on their site. China's taking over though hard telling how that's going to affect quality 

Yep 5 star car stereo. Latest vid at around the 17 min mark

On 1/6/2019 at 10:27 PM, Muffdogg said:

Im not sure what everyone is considering a BUDGET priced amp these days?Price wise ect? I would think that you could get by with a 2 ch. amp if this is all you are wanting to power up and run at a 2 ohm stereo mode and possibly look at other options as well. Not knowing what 6.5s and tweets you are running,and what RMS power you are needing or wanting also limits to GUESS as to what kind of power you are looking for.Running Active or Passive also and rms of ea speaker, and Max amount willing to pay 

2)American Bass VFL Mini Hybrid 4480.1D@1ohm Ea 4)American Bass XFL DVC 4ohm 12s@2.06cu Ft Ea.@32htz CDT 6,5 HD6 Briax.,CDT CL60,CDT 25 tweets,Kicker KS25 tweets Autotek Mean Machine 99@2ohms,Autotek BTX 7204@40hms AlterStarts Alt 255A/Dallas,Tx,2)Orileys Super Start AGM batts(1more coming)Cadence CCA 0ga on Big 6,AudioTechnix 0ga CCA Kicker Kq9 Eq,Eclipse CD3000(lookingfor upgrade)StingerPro Distro,3)XS Scorpian 8in Scroll Fans 1998 3dr Xcab Chevy(under construction,but operational)

https://soundqubed.com/product/s4-100/

$130 bucks for 400 rms seems more than reasonable

2)American Bass VFL Mini Hybrid 4480.1D@1ohm Ea 4)American Bass XFL DVC 4ohm 12s@2.06cu Ft Ea.@32htz CDT 6,5 HD6 Briax.,CDT CL60,CDT 25 tweets,Kicker KS25 tweets Autotek Mean Machine 99@2ohms,Autotek BTX 7204@40hms AlterStarts Alt 255A/Dallas,Tx,2)Orileys Super Start AGM batts(1more coming)Cadence CCA 0ga on Big 6,AudioTechnix 0ga CCA Kicker Kq9 Eq,Eclipse CD3000(lookingfor upgrade)StingerPro Distro,3)XS Scorpian 8in Scroll Fans 1998 3dr Xcab Chevy(under construction,but operational)

10 hours ago, audiobaun said:

Im not sure what everyone is considering a BUDGET priced amp these days?Price wise ect? I would think that you could get by with a 2 ch. amp if this is all you are wanting to power up and run at a 2 ohm stereo mode and possibly look at other options as well. Not knowing what 6.5s and tweets you are running,and what RMS power you are needing or wanting also limits to GUESS as to what kind of power you are looking for.Running Active or Passive also and rms of ea speaker, and Max amount willing to pay 

It's going to be active.  I have an active capable head unit from JVC.  The 6.5's are Silverflutes and Tymphany 1" tweets. I'd like to stay $150 or below.  Thanks. 

19 hours ago, bigblank69 said:

I just checked out the Axxera.  I've never heard of that brand before.  It has good reviews on Crutchfield.  That's definitely another option to think about.  Looking forward to another amp dyno video!  Thanks. 

57 minutes ago, Muffdogg said:

I just checked out the Axxera.  I've never heard of that brand before.  It has good reviews on Crutchfield.  That's definitely another option to think about.  Looking forward to another amp dyno video!  Thanks. 

Hifi Vega tested one a while back. I can't remember which axxera amp it was. It's a rebadged dual amp. 

2006 ridgeline hu:KW ddx9903s morel 5.25 maximo comps 6.5 maximo coaxial 2 type r 8s 1.1 37 hz amp Rf t1000x5ab

work truck 2017 international pro star Alpine ute62 hu. Amps RF t1000.5ad 4 ch mode infinity k1000  type s 15 3.5 @ 30hz or type s12 2.4 @ 36 hz  or jbl s3 1.5 42hz. 2 8 " eminence pro woofers. 2" Dayton rs52fn midrange. 1 1/8 Dayton dc28f silk dome tweeters.

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now