continuous on off amplifiers

Participant count
  • Participant list

bulldawgrc

CarAudio.com Newbie
So i have 3 amplifiers( 1 for the 2 12", 1 for front speakers and one for the rear interior speakers).  I only have 1 battery and it is a redtop.  Recently it seems to have a continual on off when car is not moving more so then anything else.  Seems to not happen as often when i am on the accelerator.   I thought it was a power loss issue so i turned the gains down.  Also thought maybe it was my alternator but i tested with voltmeter and it showed 14.5V.  The only other thing that i have done was that i connected a fan to one of the amps ground and 12v remote wire to help keep sub amp cool.  Could something this simple be causing the constant on off?
Could this be a bad ground wire ?   a bad RCA?  or do i need to go with a high output alternator.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Redtops are starting batteries not deep cycle batteries. Starting batteries are not designed to handle constant high current draw.

Alternators don't make very much power at idle.

If you have the volume up at a stoplight, the amplifiers are drawing more power than the charging system can produce so the voltage is dropping. If you constantly do this, the battery will never charge enough and will have a short lifespan.

When you measure the voltage, you should be taking the reading from the power input terminals of the amplifiers when they are under load. Measuring voltage at idle without a load on the amps is pointless.

Adding a high output alternator will most likely fix your problems.

Last edited by a moderator:
So I finally figured it out after testing everything.  It is my classic car and it has electronic fuel injection.  It auto tunes and it had dropped the idle rpm down to 750.  I bumped the idle rpm to 850-900 and all is well.  I literally ripped my car apart for a couple days.  Stupid oversight.

So I finally figured it out after testing everything.  It is my classic car and it has electronic fuel injection.  It auto tunes and it had dropped the idle rpm down to 750.  I bumped the idle rpm to 850-900 and all is well.  I literally ripped my car apart for a couple days.  Stupid oversight.
750 isnt even a high rpm but if you're happy with it at 850-900 and it's a small somewhat quiet engine I'm glad you figured it out

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.