Upgrading Headunit on a Car that Came with an Alpine Rear View Camera?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Farkel
10+ year member

So the sound system that was installed in my car is a bit dated now but still sounds great, however, I do want to upgrade at least the headunit and keep the rest of the components in place... including the speakers, amp, and the rear view camera. 

The headunit currently in place is an older flip out Alpine and this Alpine rear view camera was wired through my car: 

IMG_2914.jpg

I DON'T want to redo and re-run any of the wiring. Ideally, I'd upgrade the headunit and still be able to plug in the existing rear view camera but I'm not sure that I can? Unless they make adapters to plug in these older rear view cameras? 

Speaking of the headunit, does Alpine make a Single DIN that has a small screen on it for the rear view like JVC and Parrot do? Obviously if I go with a different brand other than Alpine, I fear I'm going to have an even harder time connecting up the rear view camera. 

So the sound system that was installed in my car is a bit dated now but still sounds great, however, I do want to upgrade at least the headunit and keep the rest of the components in place... including the speakers, amp, and the rear view camera. 

The headunit currently in place is an older flip out Alpine and this Alpine rear view camera was wired through my car: 

View attachment 3538

I DON'T want to redo and re-run any of the wiring. Ideally, I'd upgrade the headunit and still be able to plug in the existing rear view camera but I'm not sure that I can? Unless they make adapters to plug in these older rear view cameras? 

Speaking of the headunit, does Alpine make a Single DIN that has a small screen on it for the rear view like JVC and Parrot do? Obviously if I go with a different brand other than Alpine, I fear I'm going to have an even harder time connecting up the rear view camera. 
getting a new deck to work with an existing alpine back up camera should be a snap. to your last question, no, but any brand should connect the exact same way

Thanks, so the connection type for rear view cameras hasn't changed much in the past 5-7 years? 

What Single DIN head units are out there nowawadays that support a screen and you can recommend? 

Also the car is a Lotus Exige S :)

Thanks, so the connection type for rear view cameras hasn't changed much in the past 5-7 years? 

What Single DIN head units are out there nowawadays that support a screen and you can recommend? 

Also the car is a Lotus Exige S :)
ahhhhhh, the moderate exotic awesome gocart on roids!! :)now i see why a single din is up your alley. looks like this guy will do it https://www.crutchfield.com/p_105KDAV41B/JVC-KD-AV41BT.html?awkw=174571727545&awat=pla&awnw=g&awcr=89732643025&awdv=c&awug=9017953&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIoaKgjInS3wIV2rjACh03yw-hEAQYAyABEgIs8vD_BwE. you could also look at a new rear view mirror that will also display the vid from a rearview cam

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.