bass cut out

Participant count
  • Participant list

Robert N Billiejean Wagland

CarAudio.com Newbie
IMG_20190101_184403.jpg 15"Comp SVC 8ohm top left of box is temporary sealed port.IMG_20190101_184437.jpg bridgedIMG_20190101_184533.jpggain, boost are turned all the way up and freq. is all the way up then backed off 1/4 turnIMG_20190101_184320.jpg too many settings on this to list here but to sum it up the bass is a little less than 0.

I have a

Kicker COMP15-8

in a 24"h x 24"L x 16w" box with a port but i sealed it temporarily and a 1300 watt class D JBL amp running it, I can have the volume on 40 and it sounds great but the moment I go to 45 sounds like the bass just cuts out but the music gets louder whether its ported or sealed no difference. Any clue why that is or what im doing wrong?     ill post pics in a few

Last edited by a moderator:
15"Comp SVC 8ohm top left of box is temporary sealed port.gain, boost are turned all the way up and freq. is all the way up then backed off 1/4 turn too many settings on this to list here but to sum it up the bass is a little less than 0.

I have a

Kicker COMP15-8

in a 24"h x 24"L x 16w" box with a port but i sealed it temporarily and a 1300 watt class D JBL amp running it, I can have the volume on 40 and it sounds great but the moment I go to 45 sounds like the bass just cuts out but the music gets louder whether its ported or sealed no difference. Any clue why that is or what im doing wrong?     ill post pics in a few
you have a svc 8 ohm? yikes, talk about getting as few watts as possible from your amp. Anyways, if your gain is all the way up, your amp might be going into protect at 45 but not at 40. the 8 ohms thing tho, youre getting so very little out of that amp at that impedance

Looks like a lot going on there that's not good for your equipment

Sealed off ported box?? Gain too high and bass boost. Amp mounted on the box. Club 5501 that's a mono amp not bridgable. 1300 watts? That's max power meaningless. Svc 8 ohm? And it's a 15?  Wonder why kicker would do that for car audio?  You sure it's 8 ohm single voice coil?

yes its a 15" kicker single voice coil 8 ohm 500watt max/250watt rms subwoofer. Im not in competition this is my daily driver to work. I was told to use more from the amp than the head unit. yes it is a bridgable JBL club-5501 1300 watt, look it up at Best Buy. Did have that sub but i traded it today for 2-12" MA audio ma12oxe 700watts each, also a old school 60DS Rockford amp, a 2.2 digital farad, also this is all on a $0 budget so any of this is not bad for spending no money. Now I still got the same JBLM the to ma Subs the Fred so what type of box should I use or build for these Subs?IMG_20190102_200853.jpg

¹ of the subsIMG_20190102_200959.jpg

old school rare Rockford Fosgate 60DS amp. didn't know they are selling around $160 on ebay, it was thrown in with the trade for free....IMG_20190102_201010.jpg

Mate, I will take your advice on your 8 ohm Kicker subwoofer.  The issue is at 8 ohm load, your JBL amp is not producing much power and as other members stated here, that is 1300 watts peak, does not mean much as its the load factor your have to consider so with and 8 ohm subwoofer you are not feeding it enough juice and in fact you may be driving the amplifier into distortion hence the shut down of some sort. Some suggestions on what you need to do is:

• With the system playing and a mate sitting in the front seat, put the volume past 40 to see if it is the amplifier shutting down or is it the subwoofer stopping to play over 45.
  • Once you have determined the cause, try out another subwoofer or another amplifier to further determine if it is either.
  • My personal opinion is that you are driving the subwoofer too hard and since its seeing an 8 ohm load, it is not churning out much juice and since driven with inflated gain, bass boost and settings, it is stressing the amplifier and causing it to shut down due to heat.
  • Before you take the amp out, try another 4 ohm subwoofer from a friend to see if the problem persists as well.
Hope this is helpful to you mate!

20150530_150021.jpg

Mate, I will take your advice on your 8 ohm Kicker subwoofer.  The issue is at 8 ohm load, your JBL amp is not producing much power and as other members stated here, that is 1300 watts peak, does not mean much as its the load factor your have to consider so with and 8 ohm subwoofer you are not feeding it enough juice and in fact you may be driving the amplifier into distortion hence the shut down of some sort. Some suggestions on what you need to do is:

• With the system playing and a mate sitting in the front seat, put the volume past 40 to see if it is the amplifier shutting down or is it the subwoofer stopping to play over 45.
  • Once you have determined the cause, try out another subwoofer or another amplifier to further determine if it is either.
  • My personal opinion is that you are driving the subwoofer too hard and since its seeing an 8 ohm load, it is not churning out much juice and since driven with inflated gain, bass boost and settings, it is stressing the amplifier and causing it to shut down due to heat.
  • Before you take the amp out, try another 4 ohm subwoofer from a friend to see if the problem persists as well.
Hope this is helpful to you mate!

View attachment 3551
thank u for the info. found out its the subwoofer. So its now being replaced with 2-12" 700 watt MA Audio dual 4 ohm subs with the JBL amp. Havent decided on the enclosure for these subs cause its hard to find all the specs to them to choose one. Any suggestions is welcomed and be considered seems i have no clue for these. the subs are obsolete but re cone kits are available for them.

Hey mate, had a look at my old Win ISD program but could not locate your model there :blackeye:

Anyway, depending on your bass needs, would suggest 1 cu to 1.5 cu feet sealed per subwoofer or go ported at 1.8 cu feet per enclosure tuned to 40hz.  You can use the Rockford Fosgate box builder site to choose either round or rectangle port size options.

Work out how much boot space you are willing to sacrifice before you go designing your box though! :rolleyes:

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.